OC Md Area Launch Sites Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC Md Area Launch Sites Suggestions?

Friends--I'll be in OC for a conference this Tuesday thru Friday. Any suggestions on launch sites within 30 minutes of OC for afternoon/evening SIK fishing? Thanks-Al

You can park and launch at Hoopers to fish the Rt 50 bridge. There is also a launch all the way at the end of Rt 611. Make a left just before going over the bridge to Assateague.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    Chris

Pompano 120
    Pescador 10

Comment

Don't know if I would recommend the RT 50 bridge in a SIK, current and large boats, not a good place to turtle and then have to pump out your yak.

Comment

what are you interested in catching?
        sigpic

Comment

I'll have light tackle. I don't mind trolling, bottom fishing, or cast and retrieve. I spend most of my time on the Magothy catching perch and rock (in the Fall). Thanks-

Comment

Like Hemmingway said, I'd stay away from the Rt. 50 bridge in a SIK. Too many idiots out there and it's a bad place to have sh*t go wrong. It typically sucks during the day anyway because all the boat traffic shuts down the bite.

You could launch at the Isle of Wight and fish the Rt. 90 bridge (better fishing here at night) or launch under the Verrazano bridge (the bridge that crosses over Assateague Bay) and fish all behind Assateague. I think there is a $10 fee. Personally, I'd fish Assateague. Grab some minnows and drift those in the channel for flounder during the incoming tide. Right before high tide paddle right up against Assateague Island into skinny water and cast a jig head with a paddle tail or GULP! Look for a creek (on Google Earth) that water will be flowing out of when the tide begins to go out. You'll usually find some schoolie stripers there and could possibly pick up an early pup or speckled trout. Go get em, man. Best of luck.
            Last edited by RavensDfense; 05-26-2014, 10:15 PM.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
            Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

There is a park on the west side, Godonski? Also called stinky beach u can launch from. Stay on west side plenty of grassy cuts and a little better in no wake zone.

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                There is a park on the west side, Godonski? Also called stinky beach u can launch from. Stay on west side plenty of grassy cuts and a little better in no wake zone.
                Yes, there is a big hole (36 plus feet) about 30 yards in front of Stinky Beach holds some flounder usually. However, the parking is only around 4or5 vehicles, and the riprap may be tough to drag around/over.

Comment

The current can be insane around the tip of the rocks by the houses. If you fish an incoming tide and launch from Stinky Beach you'll be in good shape because the current flows in that direction. If you walk down to the end of the beach, the rip rap ends (at least it did at one time) and you should be able to launch pretty easily.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                  Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

At Stinky beach it's about 200 yards from the parking lot to where the end of the rip rap is if you plan to launch there and don't mind dragging over sand. They do well in that channel (West Channel) for flounder and there's been a lot of shad there also.

You still can get a good amount of current in the West Channel so be prepared to paddle against a stiff current at times. A good rule of thumb around the inlet is that the current starts to slack about 2 to 2.5 hours after the predicted tide time.
                    Brian

Comment

Working...
                    X