Rod Leashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Leashes

Anybody have any suggestions on rod leashes, never really used them but Momma said all my part-time money can be used for my Hobby so I treated my self to a Shimano Stradic 4000fl and put it on a St. Croix Tidemaster rod, know i'm worried about My Rod. Do you guys used store bought or home made, I am more of a DIY person so any suggestions on what works best or brand.
    Don't know if it works until you try it.

Ocean Kayak Big Game
    LL Bean Manatee 10

While you're mulling it over you can get a thin dog leash from wal-mart. Works till you want better

Comment

I actually looked at rigging one of those for a stake out pole, less line to worry about.

Ocean Kayak Big Game
      LL Bean Manatee 10

Comment

I use them sometimes

I made mine out of weed trimmer string, large fishing snap swivels and crimps for off shore big # test mono.

First get a dowel #3/8" or 1/2" by 6"
        drill a 1/8" hole through both ends
        insert 2 inches of line into one hole then wrap the line around the dowel tightly when you get to the other hole stick about 2" through that hole.
        (like a winding on a fishing pole guide)

Next drop in boiling water for 5 minutes then transfer to ice water to set the coiling. Add snap swivels and crimps.
        you can make them any lengh you need

The leashes in the pictures are 3+ years old So the coiling holds up over time

ends

Dowel with holes

My latest crate

Last edited by plastic boat; 03-30-2011, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Looks good Plastic Boats, I also though about trimmer line but didn't even think about coiling it, how do you attach the one end to the rod, I was thinking about velcro straps.

Ocean Kayak Big Game
          LL Bean Manatee 10

Comment

I've been using id necklaces from conferences I've been to. One end has a clip for attaching to the boat and the other end gets attached via velcro. I also use cheap key chains that are like a fabric strap with a split ring. I velcro the strap to the rod and use brass clips and cheap 1/8" rope from Lowes to make the leash part.

Here are the name tag leashes (the blue things hanging down):

Here's the cheap line leash. The end is tucked inside the crate.

I can take pictures of the rod part if you'd like.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

for rod leash i like braided masons line in 10 lbs breaking strength so if i turtle and get tangled i can break it easily and it hangs straight out of the way. i use velcro straps on the rod and a ss spring clip to a paddle keeper or cord in back by my crate, any strap will do

nice looking yak there Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Tucked In View Post
                Looks good Plastic Boats, I also though about trimmer line but didn't even think about coiling it, how do you attach the one end to the rod, I was thinking about velcro straps.
                If I am fishing with a rod it is not clipped. The ones in the holders are hooked to the lowest line eye or around the reel seat or reel handle or anything I can get the clip over.

The last time I TURTLED was in My LL Manta Ray 14 I rolled the boat back over remounted and pulled up the rods up by the leashes everything in my crate was under the bungee cords and still in the crate. I also had the Yak leashed to Me at my life jacket D-ring or it would have blown away. The only thing that came loose was my lip gripper but it was on a float so nothing lost.

I sold the Manta Ray 14. It was one of the fastest kayaks I owned but would turn over in 1/2 a Hart beat. (round bottom, long and skinny)

Comment

very smart, ive been saying for a while that you should tether your self to the yak in case you turtle especially hobie owners that dont hold the paddle that is leashed to the yak. in a good wind/storm situation the yak will get away from you in a new york minute.

Comment

Homemade leash

Go to a thrift shop and buy several used coiled electronic device power cables. They sell for 99 cents. Cut the ends off and make a loop. Secure the loop with aluminum 1/8" Ferrule and Stop Set from Home Depot. I think it sells for less than $2. I made several for my rods/reels. Works great.
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Great ideals and recommendations, thanks. And my second question was also answered about weather you keep the leash on while holdind the rod, but what do you guys do when they are in the forward rod holders while fishing or the rear rod holders while trolling.

Ocean Kayak Big Game
                      LL Bean Manatee 10

Comment

Originally posted by Tucked In View Post
                        Great ideals and recommendations, thanks. And my second question was also answered about weather you keep the leash on while holdind the rod, but what do you guys do when they are in the forward rod holders while fishing or the rear rod holders while trolling.
                        The scotty's have a lock strap or lock ring.
                        The rocket launchers I have a add pad eyes near the holders and secure the rod/leaches to them

Comment

I have the three leashes attached to my crate as shown in the picture for securing rods I'm not using, but I also have one leash near my seat. That one gets attached to the trolling rod or the rod I'm holding. I mostly use it if it's rough, there are a lot of boats around, or I'm particularly clumsy that day.

One upside to leashing the rod you're holding is that it could help keep you attached to the yak if you can hang onto the rod as you go over.
                          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

i use paddle leashes i got on ebay...it's basically the same as the paddle eash that comes with hobies.
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic

Comment

I use old car cell phone charger cords. Cut the ends off, use wire tires to make a loop on each end, wrap the wire ties in electrical tape and buy some low budget carabiners or velco straps through the loops to secure whatever you want.

Comment

Working...
                              X