No announcement yet.

self-rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how did the event go, what was the turn out?

Comment

this sucks just wrote a summary of the day and lost it when i sumited it. let me try again.

had a good time meeting everyone and checking out their rigs. about as many people showed up as i expected around 10, out of that 4 had trouble with re-entry and had their eyes opened as to how difficult it can be for big guys to get back in to a kayak. not as easy as you think, and it was a calm day. big thanks to Friday and Damselfish for helping people with re-entry. food was good and people even better! need to get together more often

Comment

it was great meeting all of you! i hope we can do it again. some pics are in the reports section...

http://www.snaggedline.com/boatyard/...read.php?t=100
        sigpic

Comment

I'm wanna the big guys who couldn't re-enter...

Did get some insight on the techniques, e.g., keep kicking until you're mounted, keep chest low and parallel.

I deliberately didn't use any rescue gear like paddle floats or slings. I will next time.

This was the second self-rescue session I participated in and yes, it is a lot tougher than it looks on the videos. Those guys have the 30-40 advantage, e.g. 30 years younger, 40 lbs lighter.

BTW, I used some of my training this past weekend on the Shenandoah River. A canoist tipped and swamped his boat. Used the technique we learned with Mike Aronoff. Flipped the canoe. pulled and pushed his bow across and on top of the kayak bow. Once it was out of the water, it was easy to flip the canoe back up and put it back in the water.

The canoist was a big guy too, and he walked the boat to the bank, where he re-entered - and then promptly tipped and swamped it again. Did the whole routine over again. Think the canoe wasn't the only thing that was tipsy.

I'm thinking that I will minimize my big water fishing until I get proficient at re-entry. With that in mind, any one else up for another practice session?
          Last edited by BadAssBass; 08-17-2009, 10:44 AM.

Comment

wow, sounds like an ordeal! i'm game for another practice. this time i'll flip my yak though...with all the my gear...want to see how hard it is and if i get wraped on my rod leashes. hopefully i wont drown..lol
            sigpic

Comment

OK, let's meet

You pick the date, and I'll meet you. We can invite others.

I'd like to really work at it with equipment and without.

Comment

Canoe's are harder to re-enter. I'll be down for another self-rescue!
                Hobie Revolution 13
                Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Working...
                X