Fishing the Susky River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing the Susky River

Lived in Baltimore Co. my whole life and have never fished the Susky and looking for a little advice.
    Plan on doing a lil yak fishing there soon but after this rain I guess i should wait awhile now.

The 4 access points I know of are Tydings, Jean Roberts, Lapidum & Broad Creek. (on this side of the river)
    Mainly looking to do some bass fishing along the shore lines and wondering which location would provide the best action without haveing to paddle or pedal to far. Any laydowns along the shore lines at any of these locations? Or is it best to just find some docks to fish?

wouldnt mind catching some Small mouth, perch, rock or big cats either.

Any tips, tactics, preferred tackle or what direction to head to would be appreciated.

Got to get my GF on some fish soon before she gets to frustrated....lol.
    I've been doing decent at mariner point but she hasnt and its time to try some new water.
    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
    2013 Cuda 12

I've fished the susky many times. Always trying for rock, but usually not too succesful on them. However, samllies, perch and channel cats are pretty cooperative. My favorite place to put in is right at the dam. Fish either side of the big island. I hooked into the biggest smallmouth of my life there. Most of the time I drift, casting rattletrap type baits. The channel cats like to hit them too.

I've launched from Lipidum and caught rockfish there in the fall. Nothing huge.
    The susky is a really cool place to fish. Lots of eagles, ospreys, waterfowl and the river is full of life.

Check the hotline for water release info from the dam. It's the biggest factor for yak fishing the river.
    ORANGE NATIVE MANTA RAY 11

Comment

I fish up there all the time. For smallies, launch at lapidum and head north. You can easily fish up to deer creek if the water isn't flowing too hard.
      Stripers by this point have mostly left but you can catch them in the same location, but more toward the main channel coming down the river. Some smaller ones will still be left on the flats now that the bigger ones have left town. Largemouth is good on the flats through the summer. You can fish anywhere for them....the coves, the shore lines, or right out in the middle over the weed beds. You can catch catfish all day long anywhere with bait.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

I used to fish there often before I moved to Annapolis. I had great success on foot. As soon as you cross over the conowingo dam make a right and to your left you will see an access point that leads down to some train tracks, if you walk the tracks to the left there is access to fish numerous spots. I would fish at the base of the upper dam using a jig. There is plenty of structure which means a few snags but I would consistently catch 5+ largemouth just in that one location.

It may be difficult to put a yak in up there but I did it before (cant remember where or how now). If you continue heading up river from the upper dam there is access to funks pond which can hold nice largemouth also. I dont know about fishing really close to the dam by yourself for safety reasons.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Comment

if fishing below the dam to lapidum make sure you check the gate schedule,888-457-4076,also this link will show river height and gate opening river level,mornings last two day is what you want to fish from a yak up there, http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...phi&gage=CNWM2
            Snow Camo Lure 11.5
            Pod mounted 30lbs trolling motor
            Hummingbird Helix 5
            Kayak fishing and inviting! Doing what I love!

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
              I don't think I want to get anywhere close to the dam (upper or lower) till I know what I'm doing.

What exactly do I look for on that link or hotline to know when its safe or not to fish close to the dam or even down river from it?

I'm a newb to this type of fishing and the only thing I ever worried about before was tides and wind forecasts.
              2013 PRO ANGLER 12
              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
                Thanks for the replies.
                I don't think I want to get anywhere close to the dam (upper or lower) till I know what I'm doing.

What exactly do I look for on that link or hotline to know when its safe or not to fish close to the dam or even down river from it?

I'm a newb to this type of fishing and the only thing I ever worried about before was tides and wind forecasts.
                The graph within that link shows the water level trends. Increased water level below the dam means they are opening more gates at the dam. The rest of the information below the graph isnt all that valuable unless you use it as a reference for the current conditions. If the water level falls within any of the conditions they mention below the graph it is probably a pretty bad idea to try fishing near the dam.

I hit Mariner Point around 5-8pm today. 4 bass with the biggest at 18", my first pickerel out of those waters, and 2 small yellow perch that I cant imagine would even have been able to fit the whole lure in their mouths. Baits of choice today were a 10" power worm (watermelon w/ chartreuse tail) and a scatter rap.
                Mike

Comment

Working...
                X