Snakehead Tournament 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakehead Tournament 2014

I was wondering if anyone know the result of the tournament. I'm just curious about the SH population in the Potomac. I keep hearing about people getting skunk looking for SH.

they got 1510 lbs like between 216 snakeheads. largest was 38" 17lbs caught by bow.
    this was only for the smallwood state park tournament.

in 2012 i believe they caught 1000 lbs

There was also a DC tournament out of the Anacostia that I dont have info on

very depressing...
    Last edited by VuDism; 06-04-2014, 01:50 PM.
    Sevylor SK100DS Inflatable

Comment

I really hate to hear of tournaments like this. I enjoy fishing for the snakeheads up here in PA/NJ on the tribs of the delaware. On most trips I find dead snakeheads (sadly sometimes bowfin too) with their bellies cut open on the banks. Seems like such a waste for such a great gamefish. I had ideas about heading down to this area this year to see if I could get a big one (the delaware ones seem to max out around 10 lbs) but tournies like this really turn me off.
      Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I know DC has one and Quantico base also has one this year.

Comment

Hey Romo,

How far up the delaware do you see snakeheads. I was kayaking/camping the upper delaware last weekend in barryville ny and the Nps had signs up about them at the kayak launch.
          2016 Ascend FS12T
          Pelican Apex 100

Comment

That seems a little silly to have the signs up that far. I can't believe they're above Trenton and realistically probably not too far north of philly. The creeks just aren't ideal once you get past neshaminy I wouldnt think. They seem to really love the tidal creeks choked with spatterdock which are generally south of philly. They have been on the move in the past couple years, though. Last year out of nowhere we would see schools of them on the tidal Schuylkill. Only a matter of time til they make their way up a couple fish ladders... Personally I can't wait!

My YouTube Channel

Comment

SH is quite popular now. I've seen changes from my local Dicks sporting good. They have so many different type of hallow frog lures now compare to last year. My personal favorite is still Live target hallow frog, I had to order from amazon last year. Now my local Dicks has Live targets, and a bunch others.

It's such an awesome sport fish but mostly only Bow fishermen has all the fun nowaday.

Comment

I actually like that we have SH around here. It gives me a fish I like to chase close to home. I mostly had to drive to saltwater before I started fishing for SH since I was not really interested in targeting the species around here. I had not been very interested in FW species since I was a kid, but now I go after some when I go SH fishing so it has also renewed my interest in non-Saltwater fishing.

The only thing I don't like about the species is the possibility of them eating up a lot of the baby stripers. I am torn on my opinion of these huge SH kills...I like that they keep the population under control and help prevent them from hurting the striper population, but I still want to have some SH to target myself.

I also have some of the Live Target stuff. I think Dick's actually bought that company since they have their logo stamped on most of the packaging now.

Comment

I was also not really interested in freshwater yakking until snakeheads came along. I was never a fan of largemouth fishing and the first time I saw a snakehead wake a frog in a foot of water I was hooked. My favorite snakehead bait is the smallest size livetarget field mouse. I wish they made an even smaller one though

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I'm kinda opposite. I was under the impression that there are a lot of SH, but its not really true. I'm switching to salt water, even though SH is closer to home but I can't find any.

I'm debating if I should renew my park launching pass and such.

Comment

Up here there was an initial rush at the best spots when some idiots posted pictures all over a now slowly dying fishing forum. People started going there en masse and competing to see how many they could kill and throw on train tracks My friend and I just kept putting in at different, smaller, mostly unnamed creeks in the area and we found them. The best spots have ZERO shore access and preferably zero boat access as well. If you can find spots like that down there you'll find the snakeheads

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
                        Up here there was an initial rush at the best spots when some idiots posted pictures all over a now slowly dying fishing forum. People started going there en masse and competing to see how many they could kill and throw on train tracks My friend and I just kept putting in at different, smaller, mostly unnamed creeks in the area and we found them. The best spots have ZERO shore access and preferably zero boat access as well. If you can find spots like that down there you'll find the snakeheads
                        I do that too but big SH usually stay at the mouth of the creek. Its accessible by bow fishermen. The bigger the fish, the more they have to eat. So they stays where they have quick access to food. But I don't find that many SH in the back of the creek anyway

Comment

Working...
                        X