i pad help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i pad help

I wanna use my ipad on my kayak for its gps.i there anyway i can add internet so i can take it on the water with me.thanks

Originally posted by newkayakguy View Post
    I wanna use my ipad on my kayak for its gps.i there anyway i can add internet so i can take it on the water with me.thanks
    I didn't know iPad had GPS? Do you have one with 4G?

If you have a cell phone with a data plan, that can be used as a "hotspot", you can do it. It will run the battery down much faster than normal on your phone doing that.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

in that case, better off just using the phone as a gps.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

But the iPad screen is much bigger for reading the map/chart...so I can see the benifit/desire.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
          But the iPad screen is much bigger for reading the map/chart...so I can see the benifit/desire.
          Touche

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

I wanna use my i pad to save me 300 on a depth finder with gps on it.i can spend 10 bucks n buy one from the istore

Comment

Your iPad has to have a network card in it to get internet. When I bought mine the choice was either ATT or Verizon. You can check if it's cellular if it has a black bar on the back of the iPad. It's should be on top by the Bluetooth. I paid $700 for my ipad, so PULEASE tell me how you got one for $10.
              The ipad has a great GPS, but there is no way in the world I would bring it on the kayak because of my apptitude for losing expensive gear on recent kayak trips.
              Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
              Cobra Explorer

Comment

If you're new to kayaking how do you know you need GPS? Unless you're navigating at night or through mazes of creeks it seems a little excessive. I end up just using the navionics app on my iphone (inside a waterproof case) when I find myself in situations like that
                Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

It is a good idea if your always travelling allot. yes, it is possible If your Ipad is wifi ready ,you can get a data plan,think its $15 plus a/mos. and get a waterproof case for the pad and secure nicely on the yak.go to at&t or verizon.The only problem you will have , sun glare on your ipad screen..

Comment

Well ......... I have what he is looking for.

My IPad has the Verizon Network capability that I activated. Then I installed the Navionics software with the HD maps. That sucker will really zoom in. It's also tied to google maps I think because when I zoomed in on my home while playing with it I could see my truck and the trailer with the Yaks. I also got the lifeproof case to make it water proof and the lifeguard that makes it float. I used it when I went to Cape Cod Fly fishing last week and I'm looking forward to using it on the Yak.

However, it's not a replacement for the GPS on a DF. Those allow you to mark waypoints on the DF screen and it records the coordinates so you can go back to it.

It is an enhancement though because it allows you to plan fishing spots the night before and to figure where you might want to try while on the water. It also fits very nicely in the tackle tray of a PA.

Comment

Even Gen1 iPads have WiFi, so you just need to use a cellphone (with a data plan) as a WiFi hotspot...and bam, it's on the interwebs.
                      Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
                      Your iPad has to have a network card in it to get internet. When I bought mine the choice was either ATT or Verizon. You can check if it's cellular if it has a black bar on the back of the iPad. It's should be on top by the Bluetooth. I paid $700 for my ipad, so PULEASE tell me how you got one for $10.
                      The ipad has a great GPS, but there is no way in the world I would bring it on the kayak because of my apptitude for losing expensive gear on recent kayak trips.
                      I wouldn't want to take an iPad on my yak either...I already planted an artificial reef in Tridelphia by dropping my non-floating VHF over the side...

I need to figure out a tether for my iPhone, it is in a waterproof case, but not one that floats.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                      X