Baitcaster suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baitcaster suggestions

Have alway been a spinning reel person, but I picked up a deal on a mojo bass casting rod so now looking for a reel to top it with. Tatula, Revo, Curado, Lews..etc... any suggestions or thoughts on what has worked best. Most plastics and jerk baits!

Pick your favorite brand and then get the best you can afford. More features really do make a difference in casting vs. picking out backlashes. Personally I love my Revo Premiere. Doesn't require much thumbing the spool unless casting at the wind. I also like my Shimano Caenan. It's not foolproof, but for $85 it's hard to beat.

Comment

I picked up a Shimano Chronarch CI4 a couple weeks ago, and I couldn't be happier with it. It's extremely light weight, so repeated casting won't wear you out hardly as much. The centrifugal breaks work really nice on preventing backlashes too. Once it's dialed in, it's hard to beat, IMO.
      Ascend FS128T

Comment

Really want one I don't have to keep "adjusting" when switching between lures.

Comment

I like the Bass Pro Qualifier. Typically sells for $99 but you can find it on sale at times.
          Mike

"But by the grace of God I am what I am..." - I Cor. 15:10
          Native Watercraft Slayer Propel - Cooperhead

Comment

Originally posted by moken12 View Post
            Is there such a beast?
            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by moken12 View Post
              There's no getting around having to make adjustments on the fly... if you change lures to something of a different weight, different aerodynamics, etc... or even if the wind changes, you have to adjust a baitcaster.
              Ascend FS128T

Comment

I've got two Bass Pro Extreme Low Profile Baitcasters. I love them. I got one of the newer versions that they currently sell, and one of the older ones, which just had a minor redesign/color change. Once you get them set up and the magnets how you like them, a simple twist of the knob on the same side as the crank will adjust for the weight of your lure. They're about 90 bucks but go on sale frequently. I think I got each of mine for 65-70. Comes in various gear ratios and both left and right handed. Not all baitcasters come in both left and right handed. As someone who grew up with spinning gear, I prefer to hold the rod in my right hand, reel with my left. That's considered a left handed in a baitcasting reel.

I've also got an older model Quantum Escalade that I found on an extreme clearance a few years ago because they redesigned the reel a bit. I had to get online and find random reviews of the reel to realize that you have to also take the reel cover off and adjust the magnets inside, then adjust the magnets outside to keep it from backlashing terribly. The other reels I've used don't require an inside adjustment as well. I'm happy with the reel now, but almost threw that thing away before I found the info online.
                Live every week like it's shark week.

Comment

Curado E Series or Diawa Lexa.
                  Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                    Curado E Series or Diawa Lexa.
                    +1
                    Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I recently decided to purchase a baitcaster, and after a lot of research I chose the Lews Speed Spool ($99.00), great reviews, available in right or left retrieve. I liked it so much I went out and bought another one. You can spend big $ on baitcasters, so I decided to heed the many reviews and start out with a moderatly priced reel that had great reviews...since I've had the Lews for a couple of years now, I don't feel like I need anything else...these reels do their job with big fish like SH, LMB, Catfish, ect. I'm happily satisfied with the Lews.
                      John

Cuda 12
                      F&S Eagle Talon 12

Comment

I just picked up a couple of Lew's Tournament Speed Spool Casting Reels and I think I am really going to like them.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lews_...page-LEWC.html

By the way. Now I have been using baitcasting reels for 34 years but once you "educate your thumb" you can run them fairly wide open brake-wise and not have to make adjustments when you switch between lures.
                        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Thanks guys, going to try the Speed Spool then, probably get a 6.4:1 and 7.1:1 see what happens.

Comment

Diawa Lexa

Comment

Lexa over the tatula. Which model lexa

Comment

Working...
                              X