ches bay fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ches bay fishing

I have never been in the bay with my kayak.i need some advise on how to take waves an everything else u all can tell me so i can be safe.

Good question. Take them straight on when possible for sure. Taking them over the side can be a little unnerving. If the wind speed is over 15 mph, I just don't go out. Premium kayaks are pretty darn sea worthy. As long as you're not leaning too much, you should be just fine. I've never really been out there in conditions where I got scared of the waves although i've heard some good stories from guys around here.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

I find that taking waves and wakes at a 45 degree angle works best for an Ocean Kayak.

An important point to remember for any vessel is to know what is going on around you. This is especially true in a yak as there are many boats in the bay that produce wakes that can turtle you if you are not ready for them. Don't think you are safe just because you are fishing away from the channel either. Many boat owners today have no understanding of the Rules of the Road and have no idea of what "giving way if you are the burdened vessel".

If you are new to operating a kayak, I suggest you put in at Trupkin Park or Jonas Green park and stay in the creeks and river while you are learning. A review of past posts on this board will give you good advice about equipment and safety.

Regards,

John
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by newkayakguy View Post
        I have never been in the bay with my kayak.i need some advise on how to take waves an everything else u all can tell me so i can be safe.
        Try and pick a low traffic area.Pick your days carefully I would not go above 10mph winds. If you are going to be nervous...I would rather be nervous about nothing than be nervous about something. What I mean by that is, be nervous/Cautious in calmer waves. You can easily be less anxious as you learn to negotiate smaller waves and gain more confidence, than go out into something that will cause you to WHITE KNUCKLE IT the whole outing. Trust me, it will be more enjoyable the more comfortable you become at negotiating conditions that match your limitations.
        Last edited by scorpioreno; 06-10-2014, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Keep your center of gravity low. Just lay back/get low in the kayak when the waves come and they roll right under you.
          2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

If you do go post which day on the board and try to go with a buddy.

Comment

Even the Severn at Jonas Green can get a little dicey on windy days as these two photos from May show.

C.jpg D.jpg

In crossing the river that day my bow frequently went under water as I cut through the waves and I took on lots of water over the gunnels. I would have been sitting in a pool of water if not for the scupper holes near my seat.

I avoided broadside waves. It's good to take them head on or at an angle as mentioned above. And I kept my butt glued to the seat. It was actually kind of fun riding the waves back to shore, almost like a surfboard.

It's wise to not reach back to attempt tackle adjustments until you are in quieter water. Do no leaning over the side of the boat, especially if you have a fish on the line. In fact, last year we were catching stripers near the channel in Kent Narrows. I would take the kayak to a quieter area out of the ripping tide and waves to remove the fish I caught near the channel.

Always keep your center of gravity low and centered in the boat and you'll be fine. You'll learn in time what your kayak's limits of safety are. Just remember that big water can exceed those limits fast and unexpectedly.

Err on the side of caution. If you're not comfortable with the conditions you see, don't go out or get off of the water fast.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

^great advice^
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

so. I would say welcome, I have fished from a kayak since late 2000 and it is the greatest thing there is.... one really hairy experience, I would offer this, it is not enough to know what the weather is now, you need to know what is is gonna be later!
                  Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140

Comment

one more thing

do not go out on the bay alone until you feel sure of yourself.
                    Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140

Comment

Good advice! what kayak do you have? may also help with advice

Sent from the water.
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I suggest wearing a good life jacket that's comfortable so you actually wear it. I was out on the bay last week and I saw lots of people on yaks without them.

Comment

Ibhave a wildernes ride 135 i do wear a vest every were i go on my kayak

Comment

I hit waves at a 45 in my ocean kayak also. Seems better than straight on. I don't go out on my kayak without preparing to swim, even though I haven't fallen overboard on accident in a long while.

Comment

Originally posted by billd View Post
                              I suggest wearing a good life jacket that's comfortable so you actually wear it. I was out on the bay last week and I saw lots of people on yaks without them.
                              I have one of those pull-tab style inflatable ones that looks like a fanny pack. I can move around and swim better without the constraints of a traditional vest, but I wouldn't recommend the inflatable unless your a strong swimmer.

Comment

Working...
                              X