No announcement yet.

Crabbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow didn't realize the regs changed... used to be able to use 10 traps and keep up to two doz without license

Sent from the water.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

The regs have gotten really confusing.

You can still keep 2 dozen without a license but they must be caught on handlines only. In fact from what I've read it seems that all the confusing regs don't apply if all you are using are handlines and dip nets.
      Last edited by buzz; 06-20-2014, 09:38 AM.
      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
        The regs have gotten really confusing.
        Agreed. I feel like I always have to re-look them up every time I go.

I've always wondered why coastal bay regs are so different than the ones for the Chesapeake Bay too? No license requirements or time restrictions in coastal bays, you can keep mature females - except sponge, and the limit is a bushel a person. Why so different?
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
          Mike, great idea! I wish I thought of that last week when I had a bunch of croaker skeletons.
          I started doing that a few years ago after remembering using fish heads on hand lines as a kid.

Comment

Not happy with the South Bend box crab traps I bought I started looking around at my options.

One thing I didn't like was that the 10.5" footprint is barely big enough for one 6-7 inch crab to fit inside.
            I'm thinking I might try one of these 20 x 15 inch traps I found.

What do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
              Not happy with the South Bend box crab traps I bought I started looking around at my options.

One thing I didn't like was that the 10.5" footprint is barely big enough for one 6-7 inch crab to fit inside.
              I'm thinking I might try one of these 20 x 15 inch traps I found.

What do you use?
              Are the 10 1/2" ones what they sell at BPS? I was thinking of getting a couple, but never thought about them being too small. I've never been crabbing, so I need all the help/advice I can get.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                Are the 10 1/2" ones what they sell at BPS? I was thinking of getting a couple, but never thought about them being too small. I've never been crabbing, so I need all the help/advice I can get.
                Yes.
                The ones they sell are by Offshore Angler, but they look pretty much the same as the South Bend ones I bought.

Comment

I like captian Bruce's traps. Just google his name. I find the 12x12 the best!
                  Cuda 14
                  Big tuna

Comment

When I used to crab a lot growing up, I primarily used chicken. I also used fish heads when I had them. Used to be able to catch close to a bushel at night in just 4-6 hours back in the day. My Dad used to take me over to Pax river all the time and we would set out 4 or 5 traps, a few handlines, and I would run around checking everything while scooping every floater I would see come under the pier lights.

Good memories, but I think the days of catching crabs so easily are gone forever. I would like try again some time, it has been a very long time since I crabbed. I had small ones all over my gulp over at St. Jerome creek a couple weeks ago.

They are pretty much around $400 a bushel for large these days when I've checked, which is pretty nuts. We used to get them for $70-90 a bushel just 7 years ago. Not sure what happened...I'm pretty sure the bay is getting less polluted than it was from what I've read.

I'm waiting for the crab guy to email when/if they price comes down a little bit...really need to eat some crabs soon.

Comment

Mine are older models and I think they are 12in square. I have seen some of the "New Models" that do look small. check around on Craigslist for some of the older ones they might need to be re-strung but that is no big deal to do.

eyedaddy

Comment

Working...
                      X