No announcement yet.

July 2014 Meet & Greet at Lowes Wharf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIfes at the airport and I'm switching vehicles….see ya'll in a couple hours!

Comment

Great day on the water with awesome people! Thanks again Coop for setting this up. I really like the location, and the lunch after was good too. Good to meet everyone, can't wait to get out on the water with y'all again.

Hope everyone made it home safe and sound. AA County Police were very busy from Annapolis to Odenton on 50, 97 and 32; I was concerned for a certain red SUV with a red Hobie on top, it looked like it caught the attention of the law...but alas "the man" did not have his crosshairs set on that vehicle.

Busy ramp for the launch.

I only caught one schoolie striper, but got some spot and white perch also.

He only brought 4 rods, and I didn't hear of anyone getting tangled with him...not even me, so that was unusual.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

That's a cool pic Rob, I should get a decent camera for the kayak...I'm skeered to bring the actual good camera we have, so I rely on my phone in its waterproof case.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by rob-kayak
          Sorry about not being social... when I talked to you out on the other side of the island I guess ya' figured I had a "mission" to achieve.

Thank you very much for introducing me to your neighborhood, it truly motivates me to go even farther on my journeys. It is very much appreciated.

I hope while everyone was out and about.... staring at their charts and sonars... they had a chance to look around and appreciate a very beautiful day and their surroundings. I took a bunch of scenic photos with a decent camera... but they don't even come close to the reality of being there.

I caught at least 14 schoolies... some big spot... and a great day on the water.

Thanks again Coop !
          Rob
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]12580[/ATTACH]
          Awesome shot!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

A special thanks to Coop for organizing today's event and congratulations to all who participated.

It was indeed a beautiful day as Rob said above.

Here are a few shots of some of the Snaggedline crew:

E1.jpg D.jpg E.jpg

While it was a beautiful day I cannot say the fishing easy at first. They were scarce for me until I found this crowd of kayaks at one end of the island.

A1.jpg A.jpg

Good numbers of white perch were schooled up near the rocks and many Snaggedline members were catching them there. I picked up one that was 12.75 inches on a 4 inch Fat Sam paddle tail. While I was trying my best to stretch the fish another .25 inches to the magical (Citation-Size ) 13 inches on my Hawg Trough it jumped back into the water and my photo op was ruined.

However, I did catch this striper in the same area also on the Fat Sam. It was my best fish of the day.

B.jpg

I was also intrigued by the on-going work sanctioned by the US Army Corps of Engineers to preserve and enlarge the island. I just had to take the following photo:

F.jpg

Heavy earth moving equipment is rarely seen on Snaggedline!

As noon was approaching Raptor and I left Poplar Island to head back to the ramp for lunch. Along the way we ran into a bunch of schoolie stripers. Raptor caught the first one and at one point he had two hooked at once. Altogether he caught 6 in short order. I picked up three more and I know others nearby were catching them at that moment. Here is Raptor with his first schoolie:

C.jpg

I finished the day with 5 nice sized white perch and 4 stripers, the one pictured above and 3 schoolies. I got each on soft plastics. Plus I "fed" a Rat-L-Trap to a cow nose ray. Other than the ray, I was happy with my catches.

A good lunch awaited us when we got back.

So again, thank you Coop. Well done!
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

It looks like a beautiful day on the water for the Snaggedline armada. I'm sorry I missed it, but just returned from a lengthy trip late last evening. I fish those water several times each summer from my center console, but have never been at Poplar Island in a kayak.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

The guy running that bucket looked like he was enjoying his work. Been a few years since I ran heavy equipment, but always like doing it. He smiled and waved as I went by the barge. Should have taken a picture from up close.

Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Fun times. I paddled straight out and caught some spot about halfway between the launch and Poplar Island. I then paddled up an fished among all of the charter boats. There were a ton of spot there. I chunked and live-lined in hopes of striper being around. No takers.

I paddled back south and found numerous pods of bait on the surface. I chased them and worked a couple of lures...which went untouched. I trolled on, and had a blue bite off my gulp. That was about it. I paddled about 4 miles. Brought home 8 nice sized spot.

fish.jpg
                  <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Looks like everyone had a good, sorry in had to miss it.

Comment

Great place to fish with nice restaurant. Would like to go back and zero in on those large white perch.

Comment

Coop thanks for setting this up and great meeting everybody. Here are my pics:
                        DSCF2229.jpgDSCF2231.jpgDSCF2234.jpgDSCF2239.jpgDSCF2241.jpgDSCF2243.jpgDSCF2245.jpgDSCF2247.jpg
                        Getting my lure back...
                        20140712_094905.jpg
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by daolai; 07-13-2014, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Had a blast! Thank you Coop for organizing the day, you did a great job! I caught a few spot, and then tried my hand at trolling a jig head with no luck.
                          Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

@group: nice pics folks

the weather was definitely grand... I was worried the wind would pick up and make things difficult... I had hoped to launch at 4 or 5am to take that variable out of the days plans.. waking up is never a problem... but my adrenalin pumps so much the day before getting to sleep is.

If the charting program I use is correct... From the pic the edge of island is about 2.3 miles as the crow flies.. so ya figure it's gonna be close to 3 miles once you get there. Which is very doable for my 10 ft kayak. The "mission" being to get to the west side of the island... going with the tide and hopefully not fighting too much south predicted wind... and return with the wind and the tide.
                            Maybe even get out further west close to 30 feet of water... and move up and down a ledge line.... that didn't exactly pan out... but I was real happy to get the basic plan completed.

The paddle back was pretty easy with the wind and the tide... so in the end I covered 14.5 miles.. my furthest adventure yet... a day I'll never forget.

Comment

Thanks Coop, had a great time and my personal best WP. You'll have to let us know when the workers aren't on Poplar island so we can make a destination trip out of it.
                              PigPen - Mt Airy
                              Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

I had a great time. There were a lot of kayakers there. When everyone launched I counted 30 cars in the parking lot. The Snaggedliners almost used up all of the parking area outside of the restaurant area. That was impressive. The owner of the restaurant was very accommodating and reserved six tables near each other for us. A band was playing. The weather was great as expected for once. I ended up catching a bunch of jumbo spots. I kept 11 to take home. I also caught a cow nose ray, but he released my lure after a little pull. In the morning, near the southern shorelines, there were tons of fish jumping all around. They were small rockfish. I also saw another horseshoe crab swimming around and several large pods of baitfish. I returned to the ramp for lunch by 12 noon, and had a great time talking to some new and old Snaggedliners. I think 32 or 34 Snaggedliners showed up to fish and 24 went to lunch. Job well done Coop. Everyone had a good time. There were so many anglers there at lunch that Coop awarded two bucket of lures. We were thinking of fishing the afternoon, but it was getting hot outside, our bellies were full and we were tired. So everyone opted to head home after lunch. Good job again Coop1486.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X