No announcement yet.

Looking for advice on VHF radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a reminder, you cannot utilize DSC emergency service without the VHF radio having your position, usually provided with an internal GPS receiver. The GPS in the VHF radio is not intended for navigation.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition
    Live for today, and fish often...
    2014 Pro Angler 14
    St. Jerome Creek, Dameron

Comment

Originally posted by claymeister View Post
      My son and I use a Cobra HH450 Camo model VHF radio. It Floats. Does the Marine Bands...Also has the Weather Band...and also does the GMRS radio service...
      It has a rechargeable battery pack and a second pack that uses AA batteries for when you are away from the charger. It can monitor saved favorites of channels. It does not have GPS but that is what the Chartplotter/Fishfinder is for. And my Cell has the GPS feature in it.
      It was $140 at BPS.
      The VHF radios with GPS can be used to digitally send location in an emergency, with out needing to read the coordinates off another device.

From what I understand, they can also send coordinates to another radio with an ID number, so you're not broadcasting it over open air for everyone to hear.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

I use a HX851, mostly for the DSC feature. It does all of which the previous has explained.

Comment

Thanks to all for the advice since I am new to Kayaking and would rather be safe and pay for something that is going to function when needed. The information on here is far more than I have ever seen anyplace! Thanks!
          eyedaddy

Comment

+1 on the Standard Horizon HX851. I also have my cell phone in a waterproof box attached to my PFD.

If you fish alone, (I do a alot) you really need to have both the radio and cell phone. Also, leave a "float plan" with someone giving them the place (s) you will be fishing in case you don't come back on time. I was stuck on an island for 8 hours once (before cell phones) before someone saw my light and came to help. By then the mosquitoes had taken enough blood to start a blood bank.

John
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I have a pair of Uniden submersibles that work great when close , we had a problem on the Susquehanna Flats where I was farther away, they couldn't reach me, and actually saw me and it was only when they got up on a nearby closer hill we could talk. Apparently some radios have a high power function or higher output. I also believe the radios are much better then having a cell phone, you call for help and there is usually a boat nearby with scan on and can respond faster then me calling for help on a phone........Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
                I have a pair of Uniden submersibles that work great when close , we had a problem on the Susquehanna Flats where I was farther away, they couldn't reach me, and actually saw me and it was only when they got up on a nearby closer hill we could talk. Apparently some radios have a high power function or higher output. I also believe the radios are much better then having a cell phone, you call for help and there is usually a boat nearby with scan on and can respond faster then me calling for help on a phone........Jack
                I don't know about the Uniden radios, but my Standard Horizon can transmit in high (5 watt) or low (1watt) power. VHF radios are line of sight, so if you can see the other person/vessel you're should be able to talk to them.

Check the squelch on both, you might have had it set too high, which would have "filtered" them out. Actually ran into this yesterday; I could hear the other radio, but the other radio couldn't hear me. We weren't in eyesight of each other, because of trees/terrain, but not all that far apart...maybe a mile and a half, two miles at most?
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

I'm assuming that Bulldog was referencing FRS radios, correct?

Sent from my Galaxy Note II
                  Live for today, and fish often...
                  2014 Pro Angler 14
                  St. Jerome Creek, Dameron

Comment

So I got a Standard Horizon HX851. Do you guys store them in a bag or box or just keep them on deck . Thanks
                    Cuda 14
                    Big tuna

Comment

No need for a bag or box, it's waterproof. I'd suggest a adding a tether to the belt clip so you can connect it to your PFD. Check post number 9 on page one of this thread for how I made mine...you won't need pool noodle.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

+1 on it floating. You can also put it in the water to determine the water temp or it will read ambient air temp if in your PFD.

I have owned several makes of radios over the years including ICOM and I think that Standard Horizon is one of the better Marine radios.

John
                        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

When I decided to venture out onto the Bay, my lady bought me a VHF. Its the Uniden MHS-126.
                          • It floats and its IPX-8 water resistant.
                          • It also has most other desired features such as dual watch and memory scan.
                          • Power settings are 1W to 2.5W or 6W.
                          • And it has an emergency light that can also be set to strobe S.O.S.

I clip it to my vest every time I'm out there or on any big water. Bonus is knowing other Snaggedline members are on 68.
                          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Thanks guys!
                            Cuda 14
                            Big tuna

Comment

Any tips and trick on the hx 851 like what channel should I monitor. How do you tell the temp? How do you set up the distress if you don't have a special number from boat usa? Thanks
                              Cuda 14
                              Big tuna

Comment

Originally posted by Longtrav View Post
                                Any tips and trick on the hx 851 like what channel should I monitor. How do you tell the temp? How do you set up the distress if you don't have a special number from boat usa? Thanks
                                I have the HX280S, so I don't have all the features of your radio. Put the channels you want to monitor in memory (MEM) then when you push the scan button it will cycle through them. By default it should scan channel 16, because that's the emergency channel. I have mine set with 22, 68, 69 and 72 to memory; so it scans five channels. Make sure your radio is connected to your PFD so if you end up in the drink the radio is "on you".
                                Hobie fleet:
                                2017 Quest 13
                                2015 Outback
                                2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X