X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dangers of kayaking

Beaver attack pulls man off kayak
    http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...tack.wham.html

I see beavers quite often while fishing for SH. They tend to stay away from me when they see me but I always have my bat handy. I'll take no chances if it gets too close to me

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Comment

I was wading the Cacapon River in WV for SM bass when a beaver swam up beside me and slapped its tail in the water.

It scared the daylights out of me. Beavers are much larger animals than they appear in photos.

I left that vicinity of the river immediately.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Where can I get one of those hats?!
        Mike

Comment

Mark, I tried to explain how fu*ckin huge a beaver I saw was. Nobody believed me!
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
            Mark, I tried to explain how fu*ckin huge a beaver I saw was. Nobody believed me!
            Metro, some things should be kept private ;-)

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

Haha yak fish!

Not to shift species but I was fishing Sunday close to a boathouse/pier on the Severn and a copperhead swam right up to the edge if the kayak. He was coiled and looked ready to strike. I think my heart skipped a beat and the adrenaline started to flow. He could have struck but didn't.
              I got out if there in a hurry!

I don't carry a snake anecdote in my first aid kit.
              I guess I would have run to a nearby house, and called 911.

Comment

Originally posted by yak fish View Post
                metro, some things should be kept private ;-)
                lmfao!!!
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
                  Beaver attack pulls man off kayak
                  Beavers can be territorial and aggressive, but I think this one must have been rabid.
                  2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                  Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                    I was wading the Cacapon River in WV for SM bass when a beaver swam up beside me and slapped its tail in the water.

It scared the daylights out of me. Beavers are much larger animals than they appear in photos.

I left that vicinity of the river immediately.
                    I had a similar experience fishing with my grandfather. It scared us both enough that I still remember it 30 years later.
                    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
                      Haha yak fish!

Not to shift species but I was fishing Sunday close to a boathouse/pier on the Severn and a copperhead swam right up to the edge if the kayak. He was coiled and looked ready to strike. I think my heart skipped a beat and the adrenaline started to flow. He could have struck but didn't.
                      I got out if there in a hurry!

I don't carry a snake anecdote in my first aid kit.
                      I guess I would have run to a nearby house, and called 911.
                      Very interesting. I heard some copperheads were spotted during our community's marina clean up day this year. Scary! I'm wondering if it's the excessive rains we've been having?

Maybe it's time to add that gun mount...
                      LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
                        Very interesting. I heard some copperheads were spotted during our community's marina clean up day this year. Scary! I'm wondering if it's the excessive rains we've been having?

Maybe it's time to add that gun mount...
                        I have no doubt it was a copperhead. The color and markings were unmistakeable and he was only 2-3'ft away. First one I've seen, but when the casting/trolling ain't workin my plan b is usually to head for the nasty old piers and under boathouses for bottom fished perch.

Obviously, I've taken note and will be more cautious in the future especially after heavy rains.

Comment

While fishing off a 40 foot long jetty at the Solomon's Island Navy rec center last weekend, I went to put my tackel box down and saw a copperhead that was maybe a foot away from my hand. After I changed my shorts I moved to another part of the jetty thinking I was safe because snakes are territorial. Nope. I saw three more copperheads at different places in the rocks. No telling how many others were there. The good news is we caught a bunch of croakers.
                          Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                          Cobra Explorer

Comment

I was fishing in several Severn Creeks this morning and saw 2 tannish-bronze colored snakes swimming in the water. They did not look or swim like most of the water snakes I have seen in the Severn before. I did not realize that copperheads swim in brackish water. I gave them a wide berth and kept fishing.

It was another slow day. I caught about 10 perch -- all were caught casting a Bignose spinnerbait, and most came from the same set of three downed tree trunks. I trolled for over an hour without a touch.

There were small bait clusters all over the place in the river. I could see them from the Rt 50 bridge as I drove to the ramp and saw many more while on the water.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

water snake.jpgYoung northern water snakes have markings that could be confused with a copperhead although copperheads do swim most are found in rocky outcroppings and such older northern water snakes appear to be a solid color unless you look closely at them water snakes tend to be very aggressive where copperheads are more timid and will flea if given a chance. I have caught 3 water snakes in my yard so far this year and released them back into stoney creek to keep them away from my dog. Either way i find it best to give them their space
                              Last edited by dhawk; 06-19-2014, 04:12 PM.
                              D Hawk
                              Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                              Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Working...
                              X