FYI Hanging Kayaks by rope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI Hanging Kayaks by rope

I have all my kayaks hanging by ropes from the garage ceiling. I have a bunch of ropes supporting the kayaks that are a braided outside core and poly inside. A Braided Polypropylene type rope. Its a braided outer casing and inner core. I have webbing that goes around all the kayaks to be hooked to the pullies and when i hung my ride I did not have enough webbing. I had some 3/8" Braided Polypropylene rope and use that as one of the support loops. Well, that carp just disintegrated over time and broke holding my Ride 135 and it fell right between my truck and the wife's van! The back end broke and the stern hit the ground and the resulting shock opened the aluminum clip on the other side. The inside core just crumbled when I touched it!

Looks like I am upgrading all ropes to full Nylon ropes! If you have the same setup, beware and change out your ropes! Now this happened the wife wants me to upgrade all straps to 2" webbing now.
    "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Man thats a big FY. Hope the damage was min. Maybe try to find that sling material like old seat belts? I want to look at the same set up for my garage. Your post will make me think real hard about the right materials.
    Ropes too.
    Deadwood (Dave)
    West River & Miles River
    2-Old Town Dirigo 12's,2-Old Town Vapors 10ft, 1-NWSlayer Propel13.
    If you dont go, you wont know, and you got to have bait in the water.

Comment

Get some climbing grade cordage, 6mm is what I used. It's a little more expensive, but you'll never have it fall down from materiel failure.

I don't hang mine from the ceiling anymore, my wife didn't trust it...she worried it would fall on one of our daughters. So I stopped hanging it, even though I know the ceiling would have to collapse for that to happen.
      Attached Files
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
      X