Life jacket HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life jacket HELP

First off this is my first. Post as I am new so hi everyone but i need advice on what life vest to get should I get an inflatable one or an actual vest any help would be great and if you have a preference I would like to know the brand or model so I can make a good buy

My problem with the inflatable life jackets is say you are at a Jamaica Bay three day event , and the first day you flip and end up in the water, if the life jacket inflats, you have to fix it before going out again, or even after getting in your yak for the paddle back in. .......Jack

Comment

I wear a Kokata Bahia Tour PFD, comfortable, never had a problem.

Just a word of advice, get a life jacket that will have you float face up if you go overboard in the event you are unconscious.

Comment

Welcome to the site. I have been satisfied with a simple kayaking vest but I would definitely prefer to have an inflatable, especially on a hot day. The regular vest gets pretty warm. As for a backup if you need to inflate it, it shouldn't be too difficult to keep an extra cartridge with your gear.

I have no idea about which brand is better or best, but if you watch for sales you can find the BPS branded vest on sale for $80 instead of $140. Not a bad deal at all considering the kayaking vest is 60-70.
        Mike

Comment

Welcome to the board.

When will you be wearing the PFD? For kayaking, there are a bewildering number of choices. Two popular PFDs on my wish list are the Extrasport Osprey and the NRS chinook. I haven't had a chance to wear either so I haven't bought yet. Do try them before you buy.

Comment

I've got a Stohlquist PFD, model 5701...which comes up as "Drifter" using the Google. I've had it for a few years, so the current model doesn't look the same. I originally bought it for white water kayaking, it works well for fishing too. It only has one mesh pocket on the front, but that's enough for my cell phone and fishing license/wssc permit.

The "fishing" PFD's look interesting, but really do you need to "wear" your tackle box when you're on a kayak? For a sit inside with a spray skirt or a basic SOT with no hatches, I can see the need for extra pockets on a PFD. On my Outback, I don't need to store anything on my person other than comms.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Like hookmeup says, try them on before you buy one, preferably while sitting with a paddle in your hands.
              My first vest was a kokotat angler vest with all the nifty gear pockets in front. Pockets were in the way.
              Second was a plain vest without any mesh on the sides or back. Too hot to wear full time.
              Third try was an inflatable, this is the one I wear full time. It's necessary to keep it on since it only counts as a PFD when you wear it. It's comfortable, cool and out of the way. The re-arming kit is expensive, and it seems every vest uses a different kit. There is a manual inflation tube you can use in a pinch.

Comment

I like my NRS Chinook.

Comment

I have had inflatables when I owned my boat and have also worn them when kayaking. I stopped using them on a kayak when I did a couple of self rescue tests with both units. When wearing the kayak paddling type PFD, it was easier to re-board the yak. Additionally, I felt that the yak PFD gave me better head position when in the water.

The inflatables I tested were inshore type and not the blue water type which may perform differently.

Regards,

John
                  John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                  MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                  Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Rocket View Post
                    I like my NRS Chinook.
                    I second Billy. I love my NRS Chinook. Got it on sale for 84. Going to buy one for my sister who does not wear her life vest because she finds it annoying. The NRS fits like a glove.
                    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                    Cobra Explorer

Comment

I have two life jackets I carry when kayaking.
                      The NRS Chinook and an West Marine offshore Manual inflatable. [$77.00]
                      I wear the inflatable most of the time since you forget you have it on. But when it's nasty out or turns nasty I switch .
                      The Chinook is very,very hot in the summer so I wear the inflatable when it's hot which is better than no life jacket at all.
                      I may switch out the Chinook for an Old town Kayaking life vest since the Chinook is an olive green color the old town is a bright dayglow yellow.
                      Since I am in my Pro angler most of the time now the lower back on the old town jacket isn't a problem like it was on my other kayaks

Comment

Working...
                      X