Exciting time today out of Jonas Green! First Turtle of the Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exciting time today out of Jonas Green! First Turtle of the Season

First off thanks to Harry (OnTheFly) and another paddler in a sea kayak for coming to my aid. It was bound to happen sometime and I'm glad if it was going to happen it happened where there were paddling buddies and others within eye-shot and a short paddle to assist. Anyhow, I found myself having a grand time with the beautiful weather and a nice pleasant morning to be on the water. The last time I heard my GPS on my phone call out the distance traveled I was at a bit over 3.5 miles. As I started to get more comfortable and just hanging out, I started to get restless as I do and started digging into my gear to first spray on some sunblock, then to check my GPS again. Then since no fish were biting the lures I was trolling with, I decided to dig into my tackle boxes and change out my rigs on both rods again. I changed out the rig on my medium rod and had just finished tying the knot on the lightweight rod's lure and set both the rods into their respective rocket launcher tubes until I could get both of my plastic tackle trays closed and secured back behind my seat. While trying to secure the first tackle box I was having some difficulty get the box back into its resting place, I could not find the securing bungee cord that goes over the tackle box and made a sudden turn to look for it. Unaware that I had drifted side ways to the waves and wind; just as I turned to look for the bungee I took a rolling wave on my right side, and that fast, I was upside down. My initial thoughts were that I was going over but not the boat, but I think that as I went over, just the weight of my body on the gunwale was all it took to roll it over the rest of the way.

Thank goodness the water was like warm like a bath!! I enjoyed the swim but not with an upside down boat next to me!! Some bad things and some good things happened next. Bad thing is that I could not reach across the beam of my hull and get a grip on the gunwale or handle on the other side to right it. I tried everything from trying to push it up from the side I was swimming to trying to grip through one of the scuppers. Still could NOT right this boat by myself. I didn't want to totally exhaust myself so I rested a few minutes and took a couple deep breaths, readjusted and tightened my life jacket and took out my whistle!!! I knew Harry was in the vicinity but I had not seen him for while and didn't know for sure his direction. I did know that there was another paddler in a sea kayak within a few hundred yards, but still far enough away he might not have seen or heard my whistle. Well as luck would have it both Harry and the other guy heard my signals and were both paddling my way. The sea kayaker arrived first and with some simple assistance helped me right the kayak. Amazing that just a little help with lifting that far gunwale the boat easily popped right back up.

Ok.. boat was back up but I still needed to get back in. Another FAIL here. With fishfinder and rod holders and a tall seat, it made it impossible for me to get back in without the needed practice that should have been done. I do have an inflatable self rescue paddle float but by this time I was pretty exhausted and the guys opted just tow me and the boat to shore which was a couple hundred yards away. Once I was on shore I could assess my condition and get back in the boat and paddle back to Jonas Green.

I lost the two rods that I had just rigged before going over. One I had owned for over 25 years, a Fenway graphite medium weight rod that I really liked, but it had a crappy reel on it. The other rod was my favorite light action no-name rod and a Fleuger knock-off, lightweight reel. Only about a $65 combo but I really liked it. The tackle boxes floated, my water bottle floated, my hat floated and crate stayed attached thanks to Harry showing me how he secures his just before we launched. The only other loss for the afternoon was my cell phone which was in a dry bag earlier but I had taken it out to play with the GPS and put it back in the top pocket of my Vest. Verizon is replacing that tonight.

Some some quick things I have thought about:

1) How important that life vest was and glad that I watched the video on how to adjust and make it snug, to not ride up!!! I have no idea how anyone could possibly think they would be able to get a life jacket on during an emergency dunking like today.
    2) The Damn whistle!!! Was the best darn thing I had attached to my vest. I didn't have a radio because my crapped out last season and I returned it to West Marine and had not replaced it yet. That is on my list now.
    3) I will be attaching a piece of black 1 inch webbing to one of the handles on the midsection gunwale. I will use this as a grab-on to assist pulling the yak back over once it is upside down, and a good idea that Harry suggested was even putting a loop in the free end to insert your foot to help in getting back on board.

I have watched tons of self rescue videos, I own an inflatable paddle pillow and thought a self rescue through before; however, nothing readies you for the real event unless you have actually practiced. I'd like to get a couple people together sometime to do some drills in a protected environment with others around to assist.

Anyhow, that was the action today! No fish either
    Don Haller
    Chesapeake Beach, MD
    Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
    – Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the story...glad it wasn't any worse. I haven't practiced a self rescue yet, but I'd be up for joining to do some. Maybe I'll even bring my deckhand, so she can get some experience too. I've got a bunch of 1" webbing, going to fashion a strap for flipping and reentry ladder/step.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Whoa... sorry about your loss Biggrizzly, but damn glad you came out OK.
      Since I ride with a 50lb battery on board, that's one turtle I don't want to come across.

Originally posted by Biggrizzly View Post
      I'd like to get a couple people together sometime to do some drills in a protected environment with others around to assist.
      Sounds like a good idea, but to be honest.... if the weather is nice enough to practice self-rescue I'm gonna want to be fishing.
      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Glad that you're safe. You can replace your gears but not your life.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Don. Lots of good info right there!
          Mike
          Feelfree Lure 11.5
          Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Don, It was a pleasure meeting you today and I am glad you are ok. I am going to move my whistle from the live well to my PFD pocket based on your story. And I will make a rope with a loop in it to hang from one of the side handles.
            I'm up for a self rescue exchange as long as we can fish after!
            Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
            Cobra Explorer

Comment

My whistle is on my PFD zipper pull.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Thx for sharing! Great lessons learned with ideas for solutions.
                Practice re-entry w/o all your stuff, then load up & go fishing.

Comment

Sorry for your loss on the gear and stuff.... and good that you had your whistle handy.
                  That's a BIG positive for all that are reading this... have that whistle handy... you may not turtle
                  but boat traffic can be crazy at times and it might save you from being run over.

Glad you are ok and that you met new friends.
                  Rob.

Comment

Don, glad you were OK, except the rods. Definitely makes you more aware of your surroundings after an incident like yours. We will have to get together again for hopefully a better day of catching fish because they had lockjaw today.

Harry

Comment

Don,

Glad you're OK.

Better days at Jonas Green and elsewhere await you.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

When waves were hitting me from behind at an angle at the meet n greet I was certain I was going over. I occured to me that I haven't done a self rescue either. Did you have a ffish finder and how did it fare under water? I ve seen a few videos and the typically have clean decks making it easier to just waslrus right into the deck area. I'd be up for self rescue after fishing and the important gear is stowed.
                        PigPen - Mt Airy
                        Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Glad you were safe and definitely have validated me in getting a radio/dive knife. What were the conditions out there like today it was pretty windy here in VA.

Comment

Whoa, what a story! Thanks for sharing. I know you'll be telling that one forever :-) I love my big orange safety whistle which I keep on my PFD. I keep another smaller one on my waders. Air horns run out, but the whistles don't. Keep both on board because they really can save the day. You can't yell loudly enough.

And good point about wearing the PFD. No one knows when an emergency will happen. Glad you're ok. Sorry about the rods.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Kokatat Pro Staff
                            Torqeedo Pro Staff
                            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                            Alan

Comment

Glad you're ok. +1 for the whistle on the PFD zipper pull.
                              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Working...
                              X