No announcement yet.

If I catch a cow nose ray...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw a bunch of them with fins up when I was out cobia fishing a couple weeks ago, but none of them messed with my bait. I would have been pissed if I caught one. I always knew they could sting you, but I thought it would be worse than a bee sting for some reason.

I guess the meat is different from skate. I thought it would be similar. I have heard skate is not bad. People used to get in trouble around here for cutting up skate and selling it as scallops.

Comment

As far as unhooking one, I guess it depends on what you're using. I caught 2 while fishing for bull reds down at kipto this year. Both gave me quite a shower while unhooking them. They really flap about ridiculously. I only had a single paddletail hook to get out though. If you're trolling an xrap or something with multiple treble hooks I'd think twice about messing with them.

As far as fileting them, It seems people cut down from the top leaving the bottom surface intact. Good luck!
      John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
      Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
        Kill them all.
        Pinch is exactly right- The rays are lousy in the Bay- and they are destructive to the mussel population- we need Tiger sharks to be around to eat these rays- but mostly all we have this far up the Bay are bull sharks...a pretty large and aggressive shark but rays are not their normal prey...so as Pinch says- kill all you snag- you are doing the Bay a great service when you do-
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Please don't wish for no Tiger sharks up here. I was one of the guys who saw the last Bull shark off Love Point when I was in my boat. I would have died if I saw him six inches away from me in a yak.

John
          John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
          MK Endura Max 55 backup power
          Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I need a ss .22 pistol to dispatch those buggers. They are a handfull yakside

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I usually beach them and beat the hell out of em...seagulls get the rest-
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I think I rather use a harpoon/gaff than risk putting a hole in my kayak.

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                I need a ss .22 pistol to dispatch those buggers. They are a handfull yakside

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Comment

We normally cAtch stripers and blues casting at thomas point park MD but when we see rays passing everyone knew were goin to have a slowday and it always did, Does anybody knows why?

Comment

I enjoy catching them.. dont eat'em though.. Some of my friends do.

Comment

So, I caught two of those damn things in the Lafayette River this morning. They seem to love 4" Bass Assassin Paddle tails if anybody is actually trying to catch one.

Comment

Working...
                      X