Gar at Mallows Bay - how sad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gar at Mallows Bay - how sad

I was talking to someone at Mallows Bay on Saturday. Discussion turned to gar. I was talking about how unique and interesting these fish are.

It seems that some people are bow hunting gar there and leaving all the fish in the park. This has been happening quite often over the past few years there. Just leaving them to sit and rot - the entire fish! Killing just because they can - not for food. What a waste of a beautiful natural resource.

We're not talking snakehead here, we'retalking gar.

I certainly hope that whoever is doing this runs into karma one day as I hear she's a real b*tch.
    Laura (aka zeebyrd)
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Where's DNR when you need them.
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I think its wrong for any fish, even SH. If I'm gonna kill a fish, I'm gonna eat it or somebody else will. If they leave SH at ramp where I launch, I'll bring back 5 biggest LMB and leave it at the ramp.

Comment

Snakehead Hunter, I don't get why you would do that.

I was at Mallows last month and there were lots of gar swimming around. Not sure if they were spawning, or what. They were quite active and neat to see. They didn't seem interested in the lures I was throwing at the time. Very sad that the bow hunters are going after them. The gars are native fish, right?

Comment

Actually I would be quite angry but I wouldn't do what I said to LMB. I don't kill unless I will eat it. I just thought it would be one of those LMB fanatic that would leave SH at ramp because they are afraid SH will eat away bass.

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
          Snakehead Hunter, I don't get why you would do that.

I was at Mallows last month and there were lots of gar swimming around. Not sure if they were spawning, or what. They were quite active and neat to see. They didn't seem interested in the lures I was throwing at the time. Very sad that the bow hunters are going after them. The gars are native fish, right?

Comment

people forget that LMB are a non native fish
            Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140

Comment

Everyone's priorities are out of whack. People killing "invasive" fish for fun/sport. Almost everything is invasive besides stripers, shad and sturgeon which, ironically, are all in pretty bad shape. Pennsylvania spends millions stocking disgusting 8inch trout that ravage streams that previously held native dace and suckers and chubs while the DNR orders people to kill flatheads, snakeheads and anything else they deem "invasive." Most of our waterways are so polluted and/or dammed that native fish have no chance of returning to historical spawning grounds and the only fish that can live are carp, catfish, sunfish and eels. I just want to have access to fisheries that thrive, not ones that need to be stocked and paid for with $40 licenses and trout stamps. If flatheads and snakeheads can take hold and dominate our waterways then I say so be it!
              Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

First of all, as disgusting as it is to leave your dead catch on the shore, whomever did this did not break the law in using a bow for the gar.

Originally posted by MD DNR, Tidal Regulations
                It Is Legal

To use projectile gear (spear, spear gun, bow and arrow, crossbow, gig…) to harvest all species of fish within the seasons and limits established by the Department except for any species listed as threatened or endangered, American Lobsters, all species of shark, snapping turtles, Striped and Hybrid Striped Bass, trout, Walleye, Northern Pike, Muskellunge, and Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass.
                Second... there is a difference between invasive and introduced.
                Of course, everyone is certainly entitled to express their opinion on the subject. However I am not a marine biologist, so I defer judgment on which fish should stay and which fish should go to our Department of Natural Resources and the US Fish & Wildlife Service.
                2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

According to the 'gatekeeper' the gar are being shot at night & left to rot in the water.
                  They have also been tossed on the roadside. This has been happening for a couple years atleast.
                  I have seen huge striper carcasses tossed on the shoulder of the roads not far from some marinas
                  near the Bay. Proper disposal of landed fish should be a priority for all of us. Otherwise, it's called littering.
                  Perhaps, we can encourage DNR to address this situation in next year's Guidebook & on their website this year?

Comment

Agree.
                    There are some states that have regulations stipulating that fish carcass or fish guts cannot be disposed in the water or on shore.

Comment

I'm with you guys as far as the waste of the fish. I don't care how someone catches them, but all life should be respected in my opinion. Why kill or torture something for fun? I don't get it. Harvesting for food is completely different, but to let it rot is just a waste regardless if it's invasive or not.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                      Alan

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                        Agree.
                        There are some states that have regulations stipulating that fish carcass or fish guts cannot be disposed in the water or on shore.
                        Not to get off topic, but this brings up an interesting question. I've heard plenty of folks suggest tossing the remains of a filleted fish back into the water as they will quickly be cleaned by crabs, turtles, other fish, etc. I've always thought this was a little questionable and could be thought of as littering, but also understand the natural cycle. So...what is the preferred and appropriate disposal method?
                        LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                        Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Buzz - I never questioned the legality of shooting with a bow. No one else here did either as far as I can tell.

What I question is why someone would have so little regard for the gar to just kill for the thrill of it. Obviously they are not killing to eat the gar or they wouldn't be leaving whole dead fish behind.

It's not a matter of just leaving their kill on the shore, it is the large numbers of them that they are killing. When there are no more gar, what's next on the thrill killers' list? Don't say this won't happen - if we continue to ignore it, it will.
                          Laura (aka zeebyrd)
                          Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Originally posted by zeebyrd View Post
                            Buzz - I never questioned the legality of shooting with a bow. No one else here did either as far as I can tell.

What I question is why someone would have so little regard for the gar to just kill for the thrill of it. Obviously they are not killing to eat the gar or they wouldn't be leaving whole dead fish behind.

It's not a matter of just leaving their kill on the shore, it is the large numbers of them that they are killing. When there are no more gar, what's next on the thrill killers' list? Don't say this won't happen - if we continue to ignore it, it will.
                            The problem still is the legality of the situation. I can't find any regulations or limits on longnose gar. Apparently DNR is not concerned. And so many folks fishing have so many opinions....

Is there a way to lobby DNR?

As for dumping dead fish on shore. That could be considered littering. Come on people... Give a Hoot!

Comment

The problem is people are dopes.

That is not directed to anyone here on the forum. It is aimed at the guys with the bows who are killing the fish for no reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X