Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to finally let the cat out of the bag!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations that's awesome. I'm about to go trolling at the mouth of the Severn River right now wish me luck!!

Comment

• Originally posted by KDT88 View Post
      Congratulations that's awesome. I'm about to go trolling at the mouth of the Severn River right now wish me luck!!
      Go get 'em baby! Troll something in the 3-4" range as a search bait in addition to something larger for the rockfish that you really want....check out my Patapsco fishing report to see the lures I was using yesterday. All 3 caught fish regularly. Fish seemed to be located in 10-30' Let us know how you do. Fishing seems to be heating up a bit.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

• is this set up okay? I trolled 3 hours in a zigzag pattern in and out of the Shallowater and got nothing. The picture shows all I had to work with for this day. I need more my arsenal!

Comment

• I need more in my arsenal. LOL

Comment

• KDT88 - Please look at this link from MD DNR regarding the legality of your setup, thanks.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/pd...labama_Rig.pdf

The 4 inch Storm shads have been working great for me the passed few weeks for rockfish.
            2014 Hobie Pro Angler
            2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

• Wow.... I did not know that. thank you very much!!

Comment

• Yah, only 2 can have hooks. Just put teasers as the others. The trailer always gets hit anyway so fold the wire arms such that they are straight out to the sides, perpendicular to the trailer. That setup will catch a lot of fish.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

• Hey yak fish, I got a small umbrella with plastics on it that bluefish are destroying. I put a spoon as the trailing lure, but the schooled plastics still get mangled. What would you put in place of the plastics? I hesitate to use hook-less spoons because of the weight.

Comment

• Thanks for the help guys. I feel like an idiot for not researching that myself. I usually do. I'll change my whole set up this afternoon and try again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post
                      Hey yak fish, I got a small umbrella with plastics on it that bluefish are destroying. I put a spoon as the trailing lure, but the schooled plastics still get mangled. What would you put in place of the plastics? I hesitate to use hook-less spoons because of the weight.
                      For that exact reason I don't use them this time of year...it gets pricey. I do use hookless spoons on an umbrella and they work really well, and they aren't heavy. In fact, I think they are lighter than the shad bodies. The trailer spoon is a little larger with a feather. I have a pic of this in the book and I'd post it here but I'm on vacation and don't have it on me. I use mini umbrella rigs rather than alabama rigs for these, running a heavy mono leader to the trailer.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

• KDT88,
                        This was my GoTo lure for the M&G on the St Mary's River.

gotoLure.jpg

Alabama rig with 4, 3" white worm teasers, followed by a 5.25" original floating Rapala in silver. The bluefish wouldn't leave it alone. Guess I was lucky because none of my teasers got touched.

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post
                        Hey yak fish, I got a small umbrella with plastics on it that bluefish are destroying. I put a spoon as the trailing lure, but the schooled plastics still get mangled. What would you put in place of the plastics? I hesitate to use hook-less spoons because of the weight.
                        Frogsauce, the other 'Bama rig I bought is this one here.
                        518PVFP1PTL._SL1500_.jpg
                        They're not exactly hookless spoons. More like spinner blades. I was trailing a 3" spoon off of this, but after getting hits using a Rapala on the other rig I put another silver Rap on this one too, but no hits. All my fish were caught on the one with the worm teasers.
                        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

• Not a bad idea using the rapala buzz. I love that lure elsewhere, didn't think to mix the two. Gonna try that next! I have a lot of cheap worm plastics that might fit that bill too. YakFish, I thumbed through the book and found the pic you mentioned.

Comment

• I found another great shop today that was willing to carry the book. Old Inlet Bait and Tackle in Rehoboth now has signed copies. They've got all the lures there too. They also have the former state record striper mounted just above their door. That thing was a hog! It's worth a stop in just to see if if you're on your way to fish the inlet.
                            Attached Files

Kokatat Pro Staff
                            Torqeedo Pro Staff
                            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

• Much to the dismay of my wife, she's now seen the inside of more tackle shops than she's ever cared to visit.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                              Torqeedo Pro Staff
                              Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

• Lol. Good for u Yak Fish!! Maybe we can go fishing one day?! I could obviously use some help😬😜

Comment

Working...
                                X