Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for good beginner kayaking locations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for good beginner kayaking locations.

Like the title says, I am looking for good beginner spots to take my yak out.

So far I have launched from Wayson's Corner about half a dozen times and onto the Rhode river from Carr's Pier twice. Wayson's is nice as I can paddle up river until my arms/back give out, then just float back to the launch. The Rhode is great because so much of the shore is still undeveloped. I am still too unsure of my self to try and round the Camp Lettes peninsula but I think I will give it a try once it cools off a bit.

Other than those two areas, I am out of ideas of where to put in. The South River seems too congested and the wind and wave action at Jonas Green seems very intimidating. I am located in Davidsonville and don't mind a bit of a drive and would love some ideas of where to head next.

Thanks.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

There's an android app (maybe apple too) called Launch Sites by Paddling.net. I can't vouch for every launch site there, but local kayakers can and do post where they launch. Sometimes there are comments for that particular launch site.
    Daniel Kwon
    2019 Hobie Outback Slate Blue
    2002 Triumph 190 Bay Suzuki DF115

Comment

The Tucker Street ramp in Annapolis will put you into Weems Creek which is usually quite protected.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Chesapeake Beach

Try Chesapeake Beach (20732), it's about 20-30 minute drive south from Davidsonville. Marina West has a boat ramp you can use to launch. It is across Rod and Reel, behind the water park. There is a $5 launching fee, but they have good parking and clean bathrooms.

Launching from that marina, you can either hit Fishing Creek (west) or the Bay (east).

Also, check out this thread: http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...esapeake+beach
        Last edited by Kayak_Crabber; 07-03-2014, 12:53 AM.
        2012 WS Tarpon 120
        http://kayakcrabbing.blogspot.com

Comment

Try bushwood wharf in st Mary's county. Lots of croaker in that proyected cove. Perch and Catfish too. Boatramp launch but is seldom busy. Dennis point marina is a great launch for $5 and you can paddle a protected cove or head out to st marys river

here is map of bushwood

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
          Last edited by kevinfry; 07-03-2014, 10:18 AM.
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

You might try moving downstream on the Patuxent.

The river is pretty wide down at Benedict, but also pretty mellow. There's a soft launch on the west side of the bridge. And on the east side there is a DNR office and both hard and soft launches.
            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I can't think of anyplace nicer to learn to kayak, than Rocky Gorge or Triadelphia Reservoirs. The only negative is the permit (daily or annual).

Comment

Jug Bay just south of Wayson's is another good safe spot for you to try. You can also try some Queen Anne County launches like Cabin Creek, and Good Hands. They launch you into a protected cove and you can go from there. Off of Route 404 in Hillsboro there is a ramp there and it will put you into a protected creek. Just be careful since it is very shallow during low tide.

Comment

If you're looking for a place closer to home, you might consider Church Creek. It's not large, but it is protected and a good place to get your feet wet. I launch at Homeport Park.
                  Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Wow, thanks guys, this gives me a ton of places to look into. I should have some time at my computer tonight to look at all this stuff and digest it.
                    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                    Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Working...
                    X