Talkin' Trailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talkin' Trailers

For the past couple months, I've been trying to ignore this pain in my right elbow.
    Turns out I have tendonitis... aka Tennis Elbow... and the likely culprit is loading and unloading my OK Torque.

So I've been instructed to find a trailer.

I need to be able to haul a 14' kayak and a 16' canoe.
    I would like to spend less than $1000.
    Right now I'm considering buying a 5x8 utility trailer and adding one of those trailer bed storage boxes.
    03-14-09033.jpg

My question for starters... Is the tongue long enough on an 8' trailer?
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Harbor freight has their folding 4 x 8 on sale for the 4th @ $299.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb...els-90154.html

Comment

Find a used jet ski trailer if you can ............. An 8 ft trailer for a 14 ft yak leaves a lot of overhang. Just my opinion

Comment

Check out my thread on this. I bought an used jetski trailer and modified it to carry my Ride135 on it.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...nished-Trailer.

Here is what it looks like when hauling it behind my Corolla

ride 1.jpg

ride 2.jpg

Comment

My experience with trailer is limited. I had one years ago for an old boat, but I would suggest getting something light that you can wheel around easily so your arm doesn't take too much stress. The pic of the trailer looks like it has a wooden deck which may be heavy and awkward.

Don't mess around with the tendinitis. My wife thought she had tendinitis and it never went away, for years. She just got surgery on it Tuesday to untrap the nerve as a result of a repetitive activity. So you're doing the right thing by going to the trailer. Memory Maker has a pretty cool setup which fits two kayaks side by side and has tubes for gear storage. It's pretty cool because your stuff is always loaded and ready to go, and when you get back, it's put away.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

Memory Maker, I was just looking at your thread about your converted double jetski trailer. Which might be do-able, although it will be hard to get one for $100.
            Another thought was modifying a regular boat trailer.

Harbor Freight has both of their 4x8 trailers on sale... Tractor Supply and Lowes have the 5x8 Carry-On for $700...

I have to make my move tomorrow, especially if I'm gonna use it to get on the water next weekend.

But I'm thinking you're right. Even if an 8 foot utility trailer will work with a little overhang, I still have to get the kayak on and off the trailer, whereas a jetski or boat trailer can be backed right down the ramp.

I really apreciate the input everyone.
            Last edited by buzz; 07-05-2014, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Save a ton of money and anguish. IMHO this is what I recommend, as this is the path I have gone in. I started with a roof rack and Hully Rollers. I still have them but getting a 14' Jackson Big Tuna up on top of my Nissan Xterra was too much. I decided as you to go the trailer route.

After shopping around I finally decided on buying a small trailer from Dave's Boat Trailers in Glen Burnie, MD. If I recall, it was less than $600 out the door with taxes, title fees and MD tags. When I got home I adjusted the bunks closer and lower. My new Jackson Cuda 14' fits perfectly. I can slide it right off the trailer on to the kayak cart or the other way around. At a boat ramp it just slides right off into the water.

The only problem is at launches like Jonas Green, where no trailers are allowed. However, the trailer is small enough that it will easily fit in a single parking space alone and most places will allow that.

D7K_3668.jpgD7K_3674.jpgD7K_3673.jpg
              Last edited by Biggrizzly; 07-05-2014, 10:35 AM.
              Don Haller
              Chesapeake Beach, MD
              Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
              – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thanks Don. I think that's where I'm at with this.
                After some serious thought I came to the conclusion that I don't need to be able to carry both the OK Torque and the OT Camper. One at a time is just fine.

Craigslist didn't have too much of interest.
                I'm going to give the local EZ-Loader dealers a call now and see if they have anything worth coming out to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                  Memory Maker, I was just looking at your thread about your converted double jetski trailer. Which might be do-able, although it will be hard to get one for $100.
                  Another thought was modifying a regular boat trailer.

Harbor Freight has both of their 4x8 trailers on sale... Tractor Supply and Lowes have the 5x8 Carry-On for $700...

I have to make my move tomorrow, especially if I'm gonna use it to get on the water next weekend.

But I'm thinking you're right. Even if an 8 foot utility trailer will work with a little overhang, I still have to get the kayak on and off the trailer, whereas a jetski or boat trailer can be backed right down the ramp.

I really apreciate the input everyone.
                  The 1 I got 2 years ago was $100 ......... Had t dig it out of the weeds though ........... You're right though ....... You have to have time to shop for a few weeks or so and watch all the possible sources for a deal. You only have the stores if you are in a hurry. You might be able to use a 4x8 but that's a lot of over hang and it says they are not for highway use ......... But people do it

Comment

Do you mean one is not supposed to run on the highway with the overhang?
                    Or are the HF trailers are not rated for highway use?

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                      Do you mean one is not supposed to run on the highway with the overhang?
                      Or are the HF trailers are not rated for highway use?
                      HF not rated for highway use ........ Not sure about the laws but 6 ft of overhang might get smokies attention. Also, you may have some stress concerns on a hot day if you have a bunch of extra weight on the unsupported overhang ........ These things are plastic and can get a crease sitting strapped on cross bars. That's why I use carpeted PVC pipes for support over the entire length
                      Last edited by Memory Maker; 07-05-2014, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Here's a you tube of someone that built 1......http://youtu.be/L8LieYog4F0">http://youtu.be/L8LieYog4F0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Comment

I would get this from harbor freight and use a 20 % or 25 % off coupon http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-...ires-5002.html
                          take off the bunks and install 2 pieces of pvc tubing for slides'
                          Like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gOONSVjTEU

Total should be less than $400.00

Comment

Originally posted by plastic boat View Post
                            I would get this from harbor freight and use a 20 % or 25 % off coupon http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-...ires-5002.html

I was looking at that. It would be perfect if it was galvanized.

But I suppose I'm going to have to make concessions somewhere.

Comment

That looks like an ok trailer but for an extra $150 or so you can have a nice galvanized trailer that is more robust and already has the tags and taxes done for you before you leave the trailer store. I already tried getting an old $100 trailer titled and they are really clamping down on untitled trailers too. I decide to just let Dave's handle all the paperwork and let me drive away. You will need to take the bill of Sale for the trailer from Harbor Freight and get it titled and tagged at the DMV. Its a new trailer so it won't be as hard as if it were an old used one with no title, but still extra work.

Originally posted by plastic boat View Post

Don Haller
                              Chesapeake Beach, MD
                              Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
                              – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X