Poison ivy on kayak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poison ivy on kayak?

I went to a retention pond yesterday. I had to drag my kayak down to the water past a small amount of poison ivy. I know the yak came into contact with it. What are the chances of the oil from the plant being on my kayak? If so, what is the best way of cleaning the kayak so as not to be exposed to it - again? I would think there is the possibility of the oils from the plant still being on the kayak.

I did wash thoroughly when I got home, including clothes. Not sure if I will get the rash, I suppose only time will tell. I hope not as I have only had a small rash once in my life.
    Laura (aka zeebyrd)
    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Hopefully the kayak is not allergic
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

More like, hopefully I don't come in contact with any poison ivy oils on the kayak.
      Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

Originally posted by zeebyrd View Post
        More like, hopefully I don't come in contact with any poison ivy oils on the kayak.
        No way to tell really. If you washed it good with soap and water, that is all you can really do. I hope you don't get the rash. I myself can roll around in the stuff and never get a rash. My wife however gets it really easily and really bad. It seems like every time she gets it, it is worse. The thing is she never really comes in contact with it. We think it is from the dog running around in the woods and getting it on her fur then she comes home and my wife pets the dog or something and gets the oils on her that way.

Comment

wash it with Dawn dish washing detergent
          Last edited by plastic boat; 07-05-2014, 04:47 PM.

Comment

When my wife gets it I use apple cider vinegar or jewelweed if it is around.

Comment

Hope you are in the clear for this past trip. I have heard mixed opinions on how long you have to wash the oils off your skin after contact. Some say immediate washing with soap is required, others think you are ok to wash within two hours. If you were sweating after contact the window gets shorter for sure, as it quickly finds its way into your open pores.

I would recommend washing the yak down with at least a mild detergent to be safe. The oils never go inactive, not even long after the plant is dead.
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by plastic boat View Post
                wash it with Dawn dish washing detergent
                Dawn works great. A doctor told me that after a bad case of poison. He told me you have a few hours if you think you where in contact with wash good.
                Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Funny you should bring this up. I got it really bad earlier this spring. I can vouch for the Dawn. From my experiance you have about three hours or so after contact to wash really well before you get it. Its when you dont realize your were exposed that you get in trouble. In my case this spring I think I touched the roots , the leaves weren;t out yet.

It is a miderable thinng. I went to doctor and got a steroidal cream and predinisone, an oral steroid. Cleared it up in abut a week.
                  Hurricane Skimmer 128
                  WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Unfortunately, I have developed the rash and blisters. I guess I didn't get to wash up in time.

I found some Callaway made by Tecnu that I can carry for future immediate use if I come in contact
                    with that nasty plant again.

Washed kayak down and hopefully got any oil residue off.

Thank you for the very helpful suggestions.
                    Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

Rhus toxicodendrons radicans can be nasty if you are allergic to it. I wrote a paper about it in college
                      For my botany class. Our succeptibility to catching it can change over time. Wiping down your kayak will remove the urushiol oils that remain active and cause the skin rash. I avoid it whenever possible but always try to rinse off if contact
                      With it within 2 hours. If you get a severe rash that makes a great excuse to drive to the ocean and take a dip in the
                      salty water to help dry it up....& while you are there you can fish for saltwater fish too. Now I'm itchy just thinking about p.i.!

Comment

I ended up at a walk-in medical center yesterday. Rash everywhere, except for the torso and face. Itching and burning. Got a cortisone shot and some meds. I cannot wait for this to go away.

Never again will I take my kayak near poison ivy. However, I can say this is not the first time doing just that. It is just the first time I got the rash.

New item added to my first aid kit - poison ivy oil remover - for me, if I know I have come in contact with it.

Read all kinds of info online - very rare to get on palms or soles of feet - yeah right. Tell that to my hands and feet.
                        Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

Sorry to hear that Zeebyrd.

I'm no stranger to poison oak after moving here to maryland and the jungles surrounding good bass water. I use 409 to clean everything from shoe laces to steering wheels. I try and shower right afer coming home and ussually rinse my legs off as soon as I get to the water regardless of what I walk through. Zanfel seems to work along with lots of stinging hot water. I''ve never had it on my feet or palms, ussually between my fingers, face, "junk", etc...
                          PigPen - Mt Airy
                          Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

I don't know about poison ivy oils, but I found some online articles that say Dawn takes grease out of your way. Sorry to hear that you got the itch. I am super allergic to poison ivy. If I see it, I know it is already too late. Spent 2 days in the hospital with it during basic training..

Comment

Pig Pen,

I saw the Zanfel at the store. But before I shelled out $45 for a one ounce tube, I decided to research it online. Everyone is saying that Mean Green Power Hand Scrub is the same exact formula and is a fraction of the price of Zanfel. Since you like Zanfel, you might want to google it and read about the hand scrub.
                              Laura (aka zeebyrd)

Comment

Working...
                              X