Winter fish kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter fish kill

I have had trouble locating my two favorite summer time fish- red fish and specks...all the spots I had great success last summer are dry holes this year- still plenty of stripers and a few blues, lots of croakers, but no reds and few specks...looks like the extreme cold winter fish kill really knocked them down...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

No kidding. Same on the E.S for the most part. Some areas are giving up sporadic specks here and there, but nothing consistent (at least that I've found anyway). Hemmingway, SlobberBob, and I spent the better part of yesterday on the eastern shore of VA in some very specky territory with only one 12 inch speck to show for it. Stripers were there, but not much else.

Our seaside pups didn't really show here until the end of July, so maybe they'll get their stuff together and make a showing.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Or could it be a return to a normal pattern for these species in our waters? I'll admit, the last 2 or 3 seasons had me spoiled catching reds and specks with consistency as far north as the bridge.
      2014 Hobie Pro Angler
      2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

Yeah, a lot of them died. I heard that commercial fisherman were scooping them up by the dozens as they floated to the surface.

Here is an article on the matter: http://www.vims.edu/bayinfo/fishkill/speckled_trout.php
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
        X