Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test ride a Ride 115 ?! / introduction

First off,
    Hello everyone, I am a newbie here. I Have gotten into Kayak fishing in the past few years after doing the whole power boat thing, ended up going to a box store and getting a future beach trophy 126 SINK. I really cant say anything bad about the kayak as it has served me well and continues to do so. I live in southern maryland and try to get out and fish/paddle any chance i get which usually ends up being at least once a week. Anything ranging from quick hour long trips to St.Marys lake for some bass to chesapeake Bay / potomac river for rockfish/flounder/croaker and the occasional cownose ray. I have even completed a overnight camping/fishing trip on the beaches of the potomac. I average three or four miles of paddling everytime i get into the salt water spots, so i do cover a little water.

Recently i have had the urge to get a sit on top, and have been looking at the Wilderness Systems Ride 115x model. I am very interested in this model because of the stability, as i would like to take my cast net with me and possibly be able to throw it from the boat as well as stand up and look around every now and then. I am only slightly concerned about the slownest of this model, because i am sure it is no worse than my future beach trophy 126.

So, I have come to this forum for knowledge and experience, as well as to see if anyone local has this model that i could possibly demo for 20 minutes or so. I would be willing to pay a small "rental fee" in the form of Hops or cash.

If anyone has this model and would be willing, please let me know, and I welcome all opinions, comments and suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the site. There is a lot of knowledge to be found here.
    Mike

Comment

I do not have the Ride 115x but I do have a Ride 115 (same hull, speed and stability). Would be happy to let you get a test paddle in. I'm up here in Gaithersburg Maryland. I could be convinced to do a fishing trip down on the Tidal Potomac (Mattawoman, Mallows Bay) at the drop of the hat if that meets you half-way?

Throwing a cast net from the standing position in the Ride 115 should be not problem at all.
      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

well, that sounds great. i just went to mallows bay about three weeks ago for the first time but didnt have much luck. i would be interested in trying Mattawoman, i have never been there before. i will PM you sometime. Thanks.
        Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
        I do not have the Ride 115x but I do have a Ride 115 (same hull, speed and stability). Would be happy to let you get a test paddle in. I'm up here in Gaithersburg Maryland. I could be convinced to do a fishing trip down on the Tidal Potomac (Mattawoman, Mallows Bay) at the drop of the hat if that meets you half-way?

Throwing a cast net from the standing position in the Ride 115 should be not problem at all.

Comment

You should probably consider the ride 135 if you plan on getting out into the bay.

Comment

I do head out in the bay often, from point lookout to point no point lighthouse, but usually no more than a mile from shore. But thats plenty far enough to get into some serious chop depending on the wind direction.

Comment

I'll look into the 135, is it easily standable too ?

Comment

Originally posted by fro684 View Post
                fro,

The ride 135 is the same exact thing as the 115 the only difference is that the 115 calls the 135 "Daddy". Standing, casting a net or going out on the bay should not be a problem with this one. Add a rudder to either one and you will move as fast as you can paddle. My 2 Cents

Comment

Hello fro684,

Sorry to mix topics here. I am looking into purchasing a future beach 126. What is the advantage to a SOT kayak vs a Sit Inside kayak? Or is this just a personal preference thing? I currently have a Sevylor Inflatable 2 man Colorado canoe but want something a bit less flexible. I am interested in your (and others) thoughts on the subject.

Comment

get the jackson big rig if your trying to stand
                    Zach Moore
                    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                    Bait Towel Pro Staff
                    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Originally posted by fro684 View Post
                      Yes. I do fish and paddle while standing. I have not fallen off it yet when standing. The fact that the seat slides is a big feature for standing. Would be even easier to get up and down with the high seat. I only have the low seat.

Comment

I have the Ride115, I'm on mattawoman often. If you want to test one let me know and I'll meet you there.

Comment

Originally posted by webbster View Post
                          Hello fro684,

Sorry to mix topics here. I am looking into purchasing a future beach 126. What is the advantage to a SOT kayak vs a Sit Inside kayak? Or is this just a personal preference thing? I currently have a Sevylor Inflatable 2 man Colorado canoe but want something a bit less flexible. I am interested in your (and others) thoughts on the subject.
                          well, i am far from an expert, but one of MY reasons to get a SOT is they wont fill up with water if you flip over ( shouldnt fill up with water ) and then SINK to the bottom. now, i have not been able to flip my sit inside future beach yet , but i often find myself out in water deep enough that i cant touch the bottom and prefer this peace of mind.

also, more of your fishing gear is more accessible from a SOT, as well as eaiser to get in and out of .

Comment

I appreciate the offers for test rides, and i still may take some of you up on the offer, but i found a local dealer that does demos for $10 and they have a ride115x in stock as well as a 135. I am going to try to line that up for this weekend and let you all know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                            X