Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rod Floats -- An easy fix to stop them from slipping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Floats -- An easy fix to stop them from slipping.

Those of you who use rod floats like those pictured below may encounter a problem I noticed with mine.

A.jpg

For some light action rods the inside diameter of these floats is too large to grip the rod no matter how tight you make the Velcro fasteners. In those cases the float will slide up and down the rod as you cast instead of remaining stationary near the handle. I find that movement of the float annoying.

I discovered a simple fix I’d like to share with you.

I simply loop a rubber band around the rod where the float will go like this:

C.jpg

Then I wrap the rest of the rubber band around the rod and hold it in place with my finger like this:

D.jpg

I slip the float on the rod and allow the rubber band to “take hold.” Here you can see it under the float:

E.jpg

I finish by applying the Velcro. Here are two light action rods ready to go with floatation:

F.jpg

I believe some anglers use tape to increase the diameter of their rods to accommodate floats. That will certainly work. But I like the rubber band method because it’s fast to install and easy to remove. I don’t want anything to stay permanently on my rods’ lacquer finish. I remove my floats after each trip and rinse my rods with fresh water. If I left the floats on water would remain under them and possibly damage the finish of the rods. (I once ruined the finish on a custom rod by putting it away in rod sock and tube wet after a rainy trip and forgetting about it. I don't want to make a water damage mistake like that again.)

I hope those of you who use floats find the above hint useful.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Good tip! Definitely seems to be quick, easy, and effective.

Comment

It's annoying for the floats to slide up and down. I used pipe insulation from Home Depot to make mine, so they have an inside diameter of 1/2" which is worse. I used zip ties to cinch them down, they still slide occasionally...but it's tolerable.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Now that is a great tip! I have had that problem and will use your idea. Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I have that exact same problem with my ultralights.
          I was planning on redoing all my rod floats because I didn't take my time before and I would like them to look as clean as yours.
          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Hmm, I've been tethering my rods to the kayak. I wonder if this is an alternative to that. Could a fish pull one of these under?

Comment

Mine slide around also. I was actually thinking about putting some duct seal on one this weekend and seeing if it works.

Comment

Frogsauce,

I also tether my rods when not in use.

But I have no doubt that should I drop my rig after hooking a fish an 18 inch striper or even a 10 inch white perch will take a light action rod wearing one of these floats for a long wet ride.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Yeah I sometimes worry about that, so I leave them tethered. I had a very large striped bass pull a rod right out of the built in holders because I didn't have it sitting all the way in. But the 550 cord held on to it.

But I've also gotten overly excited and nearly flipped myself because I pulled the rod in the wrong direction while it was tethered. Untangling the 550 cord, anchor line, braided fishing line, and an angry fish is not fun either. But I suppose it's the only way to ensure your rods don't go for an unannounced swim.

Comment

Do these floats provide short term floating - as in just enough for you to be able to retrieve it - or will it keep them afloat longer?

Rod leashes are a tangled mess at times - and I think I have two that need replacing or at least a very long soak to remove poison ivy oils.
                    Laura (aka zeebyrd)
                    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

I use Goop. Works great.
                      Hurricane Skimmer 128
                      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Laura,

In self tests, my rods have floated.

In light of your recent battles with poison ivy if we meet at tomorrow's M&G please don't be offended if I don't shake your hand.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                          Laura,

In self tests, my rods have floated.

In light of your recent battles with poison ivy if we meet at tomorrow's M&G please don't be offended if I don't shake your hand.
                          Mark,

Between the cortisone shot and the Mean Green Hand Scrub, I may still have the signs of a rash, but no more blisters, no more itching and no more pain! I just have to make sure all my equipment is "feeling" the same.
                          Laura (aka zeebyrd)
                          Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

+1 on tangled mess...

The floats I made keep the rods from becoming fish structure in the event of a turtle. And that's all I'm trying to do right now.
                            The first time I lose one to a fish, I'll probably go back to using leashes.
                            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                            X