Native introduces new shorter and lighter Slayer Propel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native introduces new shorter and lighter Slayer Propel

As a member of Native Watercraft's Pro Staff team, I get advanced notification of new Native Products. Yesterday I received word from the president of Native that they have designed a 10-ft version of the popular Slayer Propel 13.

Slayer Propel 10.jpg

The Slayer Propel 10 will be introduced at the ICast convention this coming week. While it looks small at 10 ft length, it will have the same weight capacity as the Slayer 13 Propel (this was accomplished by adding 1" in width). The speed is supposed to be just a little slower that the Slayer 13 (much faster than might be expected for a 10 ft boat). The Slayer Propel 10 will have a shorter turning radius. The best news is that the hull weight (based on pre-production estimates) is expected to be just 60 lbs, making it the lightest SOT pedal kayak on the market. One major difference in appearance is that the bow has a rubber hatch instead of the open storage area. They did this because of limited space. According to Native management, production on the new model will begin on Sept. 1.

I am enthusiastic about the possible of having the same weight capacity as the Slayer Propel 13 at a much lighter hull weight. The 10-ft length might even fit inside my Honda Odyssey. I anticipate that I will order one when they become available and will be happy to show it off to other Snaggedline.com members.
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 07-12-2014, 10:58 AM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Wonder if they will take a trade in off my slayer propel 13. The lighter weight is appealing to me.
    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
    Cobra Explorer

Comment

Always exciting to see new stuff coming out. How well do these kayaks track without the drive being down?
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Impressive!
        LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
        Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
          Always exciting to see new stuff coming out. How well do these kayaks track without the drive being down?
          Mustafa -

My Slayer Propel 13 paddles easily without the Propel in the down position (I trolled under paddle power for 5 miles one day when I forgot to bring the Propel to the ramp). They have a rudder, so tracking is not really an issue. Other than a few guys at the Native factory, nobody has been able to try the new Slayer Propel 10 yet. Hopefully, it will paddle easily too.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks John,

I'll be interested in trying it out when you get one
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Any idea what the MSRP will be?
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

That's what I have been waiting for John. Great news.

Comment

I found the first online review of the Slayer Propel 10. http://www.shopgetoutdoors.com/blog/?p=800&preview=true

In the spirit of full disclosure, the reviewer works at a store that sells Native kayaks and is on the Native Pro Staff team.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis

Comment

Looks like an excellent travel boat to keep in the back of a pick-up or full-sized van for those quick stops before and/or after work.

500 lb. capacity is higher than my Mariner (which just fits in the back of a full-sized and extended cargo van).

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                      I found the first online review of the Slayer Propel 10. http://www.shopgetoutdoors.com/blog/?p=800&preview=true

In the spirit of full disclosure, the reviewer works at a store that sells Native kayaks and is on the Native Pro Staff team.
                      That article lists the price too, so the cat is out of the bag on that. Be interested in hearing what the one special feature is that was left out of the review.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                      X