Interesting new reel concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting new reel concept

Aside from the "this will change fishing forever" stuff, the reel concept is really interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjMAcz2C4DQ
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Interesting concept. Someone certainly put a lot of time and thought into that. I just don't see how it is necessary. Matching appropriate line for the reel and lure size I use has always been fine for me with mono.
    Mike

Comment

Conventional doesn't have that issue ...

Comment

I think line twist is a myth. Maybe its because I only use stradics and braid? I've never seen or experienced this line twist/wind knot phenomenon that everyone complains about. I feel like a lot of the guys complaining about it online are using old penn 710s and stuff that weren't designed to use braid or newer, slicker mono and flouro
        Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I think they've over thought it...
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Romo,

Line twist is definitely not a myth.

It happens on mono-loaded spinning reels predominantly but can also happen on bait casters, just not as often.

If your bait spins in the water on the retrieve or during trolling it can cause the line to twist and wrap upon itself when you have no tension on it. (Casting into the wind can reveal the twist because the wind may lessen the tension on the line.) A swivel in the line between the lure and reel will lessen the occurence.

Twist can also be caused if you retrieve line on a spinning reel while a fish is pulling the drag.

You can get rid of the twist by removing the lure and trailing the line behind your kayak in the water. As you retrieve it the twist will "spin out."

Or when you get home you can lay your line on the lawn and retrieve it through the grass. Same principle as above. The twist will remove itself during the retrieve with no lure to spin the twist tighter.

I cannot speak to the action of braid as I do not use it.

But mono will definitely twist under the conditions I listed above.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Yeah line twist is no myth; fish by hand and line for a while and you will see it "first hand".

Comment

Working...
              X