Proper rod action/weight question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper rod action/weight question

I have numerous rods and reels but am still not sure I am using the right combo for light spinning from the yak. If I am throwing to shore and piers from the yak, am I correct in using a 7' Fast/Light rod with a 1000 size reel and 10# braid for 1/8 to 3/8 beetle spins and small bucktails?

Thanks in advance,

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

I've never used a light weight rod and don't usually use small lures but that sounds about right. A medium weight rod is comfortable for me with 1/4-3/8 jigs with tubes though. I definitely prefer the fast tip.
    Mike

Comment

I use 6' light and ultralight rods with 1000 series reels and 10-lb braid. If you prefer a longer rod, 7' is fine.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I use a 6' and a 7' medium and medium heavy rod in the yak. Call me cheap but I like the Ugly Stick rods for the yak.

Comment

John,

I think your tackle is fine for the fishing style you cited.

I use 6.5 and 7 ft. spinning rods for the lures you mentioned but my line is 8 pound mono to which I add 3 feet of 15 pound fluorocarbon leader for those times I hook a striper when targeting white perch. My spinning rods have medium actions which I like for tossing light lures. I think the softer tip gives me a little more casting accuracy than a faster tip.

For lures 1/2 oz. and up I use bait casters with 12 pound mono and the same fluorocarbon leader as above.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark,

Do you use a swivel for your leader or do you tie line to line?

TR

Comment

It's better to catch fish on a cheap rod then get skunk on an expensive rod. I usually use cheap rods as well and still bringing in those monster SH. And for the reel, I like those 2500 reel. I don't need a lot of lines for SH/bass, just need to hold at least 100 yards of 30 lbs braided. I think it will depend on what you want to target, you might need different reels.

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post
              I use a 6' and a 7' medium and medium heavy rod in the yak. Call me cheap but I like the Ugly Stick rods for the yak.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                I use 6' light and ultralight rods with 1000 series reels and 10-lb braid. If you prefer a longer rod, 7' is fine.
                John,

I actually like a 6 ft but find with the seven foot I can work the fish around the bow if necessary. My arms are too short to do that with a 6 footer.

John
                John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

All my rods are 6'6"...all are ugly sticks ranging from ultra lites to heavy trolling rods. The new Gx2's are very sensitive!
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I have both 6'6" and 7'. I prefer 7' more because I can cast further and work the frog better unless it's jigging rod then I prefer shorter rod especially when I do vertical jigging

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                    All my rods are 6'6"...all are ugly sticks ranging from ultra lites to heavy trolling rods. The new Gx2's are very sensitive!

Comment

TR,

I tie line to line with a surgeon's knot.

It's fast and has never failed me.

I use the same knot to tie the tippet to my leader when fly fishing.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                      X