Testing Weather Alert on VHF radios... Standard Horizon 300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing Weather Alert on VHF radios... Standard Horizon 300

Testing Weather Alert on VHF radios... Standard Horizon 300..
    Got the HX300 last week....
    The manual says "every Wednesday between 11am and 1p," there is a test.

I guess with the nasty weather that is rolling through today there may be an alert... and tomorrow is Wednesday.... but if not..
    has anybody every tried the "Wednesday" test, or actual weather live alerts.
    I have the WX station set in the scan... so other than that it seems a no brainer.

Thx.
    R.

Yes there is a test every weds. But, with tonight's predicted storms you might get one then.

Comment

Does it broadcast on the normal VHF channels, or do you get it from the weather channels?
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Do Standard Horizon radios have to been on a weather frequency to get alerts or will it cut in when you are monitoring 16 and 68?

Thanks,

John
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Last Wednesday when Raptor and I were fishing (and deer herding) in the Mill Creek area I had my Standard Horizon HX 851 radio on Channel 68.

All of a sudden I heard the weather alert alarm. It scared the daylights out of me because we were at Greenbury Point at that moment, a good 40 minutes from our ramp.

It was the weather test.

So yes, my Standard Horizon radio interrupts my normal channel to bring me the weather alert.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            Last Wednesday when Raptor and I were fishing (and deer herding) in the Mill Creek area I had my Standard Horizon HX 851 radio on Channel 68.

All of a sudden I heard the weather alert alarm. It scared the daylights out of me because we were at Greenbury Point at that moment, a good 40 minutes from our ramp.

It was the weather test.

So yes, my Standard Horizon radio interrupts my normal channel to bring me the weather alert.
            Good to know. Probably works on all marine channels then, not just SH radios.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Well.. just now at 1:42 pm I got the loud pinging noise indicating a weather alert on the HX300.
              Cool beans !! At least I know it works.
              For my radio I had (well at least I think I had to do it cause that is what the manual says..)
              put the WX radio channel... for example the #1 WX channel which is 162.550... into the scan mode.
              162.550... is the Manassas location
              So it scanned 16/9/WX#1/68/ etc etc....

Since I am so new to this radio... et al all these VHF radios.... I don't know if some automatically include your chosen WX etc etc... I guess hit the manual and play around with it today because the WX is making all kinds of noises and alerts... :-) good day for some tests .

Now my next investigation...or if somebody already knows... which frequency is best for the parts of the Bay.
              Channel #1 is Manasas... 162.550 which comes in strong here in Kensington.
              Channel #2 is ? 162.400 comes in weak... but clear enough (probably Baltimore)
              Channel #5 is Sterling ? 162.450 strong....

the other channels I don't get here.

And this thing is pinging like crazy... wouldn't be so good if it kept pinging and I had to get an emergency call in but maybe the radio is smart enough to know that situation.

Also... some of the reviews for these radios mention that there is no lanyard attachment, but there is clearly a hole on the belt clip and a lanyard attachment included.
              Last edited by rob-kayak; 07-15-2014, 02:13 PM.

Comment

I'm in AA County, channel 2 is the best reception.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

this what I was looking for...
                  Weather Radio Locations Map...
                  http://www.erh.noaa.gov/akq/nwr.php
                  also this... for Balt/DC..
                  http://www.weather.gov/lwx/nwrmap

One is easier to read than the other...

The erh.noaa.gov link out of Wakefield has always provided better information in my opinion...

gives frequencies and broadcast areas...
                  Last edited by rob-kayak; 07-15-2014, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Weather channels

Comment

A little off-topic here but I’ve noticed when monitoring Channel 68 in the Severn or that vicinity I get good insight as to fishing conditions.

It’s rare for example, that I hear charter captains or others talking about catching multitudes fish when I am not. The charter captains especially are tight-lipped bunch. But occasionally I’ll hear queries such as “Any luck, captain?” “Where’s the fish?” “Whatcha usin?” "How deep?" The recreational guys are chattier sharing their fishing woes freely.

When or if the fishing picks up for me, the radio talk usually diminishes greatly, which I assumes means everyone is catching fish. Then all I hear is the Annapolis Harbor Taxi broadcasting passenger counts.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                        A little off-topic here..
                        No worries... you guys always provide good information...

I updated post #9

Comment

I just turned mine on to see what they were saying on weather channel 2, it's a constant loop of high tides for Baltimore harbor and Thomas Point lighthouse.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

I turned my marine radio on earlier to see if got any WX alerts as the rain was moving through. It did

Comment

If it was anything like mine, it was screaming away. ( that was just before the tornado picked up the house) Forget I said that, cheap liquor.

John
                              John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                              MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                              Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
                              X