Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it take for a man to catch a SH in Maryland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. I know I can fishing tidal portion of Potomac with via fresh water, I assume MD will work but I guess not.

Also, I can fish any MD portion of Chesapeake bay & its tributaries with my VA salt water.

So, Cowpokey can go SH fishing without buying new license.
    I have MD tidal (Bay and Coastal) and fresh (non-tidal) water, so I'm good for anything that touches MD.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

I still think MD people get rip off because VA fresh water can fish upper portion of tidal potomac

And I love that I can fish MD portion of Chesapeake bay & tributaries with VA license

Comment

I still think MD people get rip off because VA fresh water can fish upper portion of tidal potomac
        +1
        Yeah, I got my freshwater, bay & coastal, and my recreational crab permit. I'm covered too.

But why does Maryland cut Virginia a break? Maybe its a typo.
        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I think MD divide tidal & non tidal. In VA, fresh water can fish the upper part of tidal river

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
            But why does Maryland cut Virginia a break? Maybe its a typo.
            Not a typo, I had this discussion with a Natural Resources Officer at the 225 Bridge one day a couple of years ago. If I had to guess it probably has to do with how the license money from each state is allocated out to supporting the various fisheries.

I think Maryland looks at the Chesapeake Bay and the major tributaries as one entity (covered by the Bay Sport License at only $ 15.00 for a resident which seems pretty reasonably priced considering what water it covers).
            Last edited by Turtle135; 07-16-2014, 01:18 PM.
            Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I think MD divide tidal & non tidal. In VA, fresh water can fish the upper part of tidal river
              OK, in VA, fine.... but Mattawoman and the Potomac are in Maryland. Why are we bending our rules to suit them?

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
              Not a typo, I had this discussion with a Natural Resources Officer at the 225 Bridge one day a couple of years ago. If I had to guess it probably has to do with how the license money from each state is allocated out to supporting the various fisheries.

I think Maryland looks at the Chesapeake Bay and the major tributaries as one entity (covered by the Bay Sport License at only $ 15.00 for a resident which seems pretty reasonably priced considering what water it covers).
              I have no problem with the fees I pay DNR. I just don't understand why MD DNR lets VA residents slide.

It doesn't really make any sense, unless its a political thing...

Comment

It doesn't really make any sense, unless its a political thing...
                We should barricade the mouth of Mattawoman and not let any Virginians in (at least until they allow us to fish Occoquan up to the real tidal line and not just the I-95 bridge).
                Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

We should barricade the mouth of Mattawoman and not let any Virginians in (at least until they allow us to fish Occoquan up to the real tidal line and not just the I-95 bridge).
                  If I go to Mattawoman, I would launch at slavin or the bridge place as well. It will stop bass boat from coming in, so I vote to barricade it lol

Comment

If I go to Mattawoman, I would launch at slavin or the bridge place as well. It will stop bass boat from coming in, so I vote to barricade it lol
                    LOL...
                    ...soon after would follow the reality show.... "Fish Wars".... or "The Angler Mafia"... or "Keeping Up With The Kayaks"...

Comment

LOL...
                      ...soon after would follow the reality show.... "Fish Wars".... or "The Angler Mafia"... or "Keeping Up With The Kayaks"...
                      Kayak Mafia
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Now that I think about it. I think its Maryland that don't let people fishing upper tidal portion. Virginia allow it. So you need to convince MD DNR to let you do it.

I think VA consider the water pass i-95 fresh water.

Comment

Working...
                        X