Monocacy River: Buckeystown Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monocacy River: Buckeystown Launch

Looking at launch points for the kayak on Monocacy River. Noticed one called "Buckeystown Community Park" just off of Rte. 80/Fingerboard Road. Has parking for 20 cars in a gravel lot. Has anyone launched there? If so, how is that stretch of water with respect to navigability (especially in a Hobie Revo) and how is the fishing?
    Thanks,
    Bruce

I have mostly banked fished on the Monocacy, so cant help too much with other launch points. The Buckeystown Park launch is nice, but the water there is skinny and not very deep. Lots of rocks too from what I remember (been about 1.5 years). I did paddle upstream from the launch, so maybe it gets wider or deeper down stream. Heck, in 1.5 years things could be different with all the rain and flooding.

Comment

There is pretty nice launch site down on the C&O that is free and puts you out in the potomac. I went wading there before and the water was clean a little grassy but about 3' in many spots. Lots of islands and the chance to sight fish. I think the monocacy is a little muddy to support quality fish life, but I've only fished it twice. When I drive over it after mild rains it looks really muddy.
      PigPen - Mt Airy
      Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

the Monocacy aqueduct is a great place to put in giving you access to two rivers, great small mouth fishing just north of the mouth of the Monacacy in the Potomac, really one of my favorite launches.
        Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140

Comment

Buckeystown park is good. There is a good riffle just upstream you might want to portage up and over, From there you can paddle up and fish back. Or you can launch just downstream and float to Potomac. It can be slow water in spots and be prepared to paddle.
          Hurricane Skimmer 128
          WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Here's a pic of the river at Buckeystown Park. My kids are playing on the bank near the path down from the park, I'm about 20' out in the river looking upstream for the picture. Its really shallow, not a place for pedal yaks.
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikepepin/9547983907/
            Sent from my Tricorder
            Mike
            Feelfree Lure 11.5
            Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

they are both pretty good days on the water!
              Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140

Comment

Working...
              X