Visit to Kayak City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visit to Kayak City

Occasionally, folks here on the forum ask whether anyone has ordered from Kayak City. Kayak City has a large store on e-bay and also on Amazon. The prices are real great and the packages seem really low...and point to point shipping is free (and to home can be really low..like $45 sometimes). Folks sometimes feel it's "too good to be true".
    Several guys on the forum have ordered from them successfully. The weakness, of course, is that you can't test paddle a kayak on line, but if you know what you want it is a tempting idea.
    So I am out in Sacramento, CA for my daughter's wedding which is also the headquarters for Kayak City. I was bored so I decided to go out and look at their boats and how they were handled and packaged for shipping. I also was going to measure the attitudes of the guys there so folks might have a better idea of the reliability of this place. I had no preconceived notions as I had not dealt with them.

Kayak City is the second largest kayak vendor in the USA...only Austin Kayak sells more. They ship out over 100 yaks a week....surprisingly about 5 a month to BWI. They sell Wilderness Systems, Ocean Kayak, Hobie and Eddyline SOT kayaks primarily...they sell a couple Emotion SOT's too. They really know their kayaks and have a great setup for shipping boats. The guys were very friendly and accommodating as I asked questions and asked to inspect how things were packed and their ways of handling damage complaints.

Each type and model of kayak is wrapped differently according to the protection needs of the particular boat. They all, however, are wrapped in cardboard first, then one or two layers of plastic. Some that have particular wear points also get a little bubble-wrap. They take great pains to clearly label the yaks "NO FORKLIFT" but sadly, he says, many shipping employees won't get off their forklifts.

The representative I visited with stressed the importance of inspecting the kayaks for shipping damage at the "pick-up point" and calling immediately if there is any damage. "We'll ship a replacement same day if possible." They of course don't own the shipping/freight company, but seem determined to have customers completely satisfied.
    Their "packages" all have upgrade options. Every kayak ships standard with one or two Solstice paddles that are equivalent to the Bending Branches Whisper. The upgrades are Cannon Waves but can be Aquabound manta rays as well. I'm not sure what all the seat upgrades are.
    Hobie Kayaks get a reduced shipping rate, but are not eligible for free shipping. Hobie requires shipping be point to personal address and some extra insurance. The rate is still very inexpensive compared to say Cabela's shipping rate on kayaks.
    Anyway, I am very confident recommending these guys. They are professional, hardworking, and customer centered. They try their best to prepare boats for safe shipping at the lowest price. I was pretty impressed!
    You can see their stuff on
    E-Bay at http://stores.ebay.com/Kayak-City-Paddlesports
    their own website www.kayakcity.com
    Last edited by kevinfry; 07-22-2014, 01:40 PM.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Thank You for the information and your time to do this. great to know first hand with confidence...based on your report i would have no reservation at all to do business with them.

Comment

yeah I would not hesitate if I knew for sure which boat I wanted

Comment

It's always good to have a look on the inside. And your visit definitely provides quality intel. Thanks again!

Comment

Very informative writeup. Thanks for sharing your experience.
          Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
          Cobra Explorer

Comment

Thanks for the inside info Kevin. When the time comes I'll certainly check out their stock.
            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Thank you! I've been looking at their stuff online and had the feeling it was some sketchy warehouse in China. Good to know its legit.
              Mike
              Feelfree Lure 11.5
              Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Yeah, I'm not advocating using them over local guys, but for some folks they are going to be the right choice... or best option. Therefore, I thought it would be a good idea to check them out. Ebay has some great vendors and some shady ones. These guys are the former... real professional.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
                Last edited by kevinfry; 07-22-2014, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Nice write up did you buy anything?

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                    Nice write up did you buy anything?
                    I bought a few things that would fit in my suitcase.....LOL (sshhh... only supposed to be making wedding related purchases)

Comment

Thanks Kevin good to know they are on the up and up. Now what are they sending u?;-)

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                        Thanks Kevin good to know they are on the up and up. Now what are they sending u?;-)
                        Ha ha!! only a break from wedding week madness Surfdog!...........Though that was pretty valuable!

Comment

I like the write up Kevin. Really nice of you check it out and report back.

This is the place I ordered my two ocean kayak factory 2nds from. Good deals and good service

Comment

Originally posted by camelbird View Post
                            I like the write up Kevin. Really nice of you check it out and report back.

This is the place I ordered my two ocean kayak factory 2nds from. Good deals and good service
                            Yeah they still have some awesome deals on new 2013 trident 13s factory seconds
                            http://www.kayakcity.com/outlet-and-closeout-kayaks/

Comment

Working...
                            X