Rhino-Rack Kayak Lifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhino-Rack Kayak Lifter

As I am finally healing up from a broken collarbone, I have no desire to put undue strain on my shoulders for a while, and frankly it's probably just a matter of time before I do some damage to myself or the car by doing the overhead lift thing with the Hobie. Anybody else seen or heard about this new product? Just now showing up stateside (and also in Hobie's catalog) but not much info out there about it. Looks like very high quality but I have a couple concerns. One, I'm not sure I like the idea of a winch permanently affixed on my car. Two, the instructions call for drilling into the existing roof rack in a couple places. And three, not nearly enough info on roof rack compatibility on their site. It's also pricey at $650, but that's definitely south of the Yakima rack & roll trailer ($2K+) which is really the only trailer I could get shipped overseas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5VQhk0gQnk

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/products...yak-lifter_nkl

BTW, anyone happen to have any experience fishing in northern France...? About to get into it with 0 local knowledge, haha.

A little pricey but it looks like it works he pulled a PA on the roof with no problem.
    Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
    Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Take a look at the HULLAVATOR from THULE... much simpler you do have to lift the kayak up to about waist height. I have one and it works perfectly... could not load the yak with out it. it may provide an option...choices are good. i would recommend this product with out reservation. the arms at rest sit on top of the roof. loading the arms fold down and sit down vertical to the door, lift the yak about waist height and place the yak in the cradles, strap it down, the arms have hydraulic assist with a slight upward pressure the yak lifts up and folds on the roof rack locks down with pins and off you go.

Comment

+1 on the Hullavator. I do not own a Hullavator but when I become old or injured it looks very attractive. The rhino looks like too many parts and mechanics to lower and raise the kayak. Plus it utilizes all of the roof rack, not allowing another attachment to the racks if needed. I would assume a crowded parking lot would really make things difficult. Just my two cents...best of luck on your healing collar bone!
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

true the Hullavator allows 2 yaks to be carried... or what ever can fit along side the yak, it is not permanetly attached to the vehicle...imho that could devalue the vehicle if some of the parts have to be permanetly attached...best of luck with with your decision and speedy recovery with the collarbone. tight lines and bent rods always

Comment

My friend has a hullavator but he uses a light kayak. I'm not sure how well it will work with a wide sit on top 70 lb fishing kayak. The rhino rack looks cool but I feel it's too much of a hassle doing all this each time you go out. Just get an used trailer and modify it to your taste.
            Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
            2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I'm sure they have boat trailers in France and probably around the same prices for a used 1 here ...... Otherwise ..... I'm sure it will work

Comment

my kayak weights 68lbs & 13ft long, it works perfectly.... thats why i used the hullavator

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                  I'm sure they have boat trailers in France and probably around the same prices for a used 1 here ...... Otherwise ..... I'm sure it will work
                  good point

Comment

Working...
                  X