Beware of This Infection From The Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of This Infection From The Bay

Vibrio vulnificus is a rapid-spreading flesh-eating bacteria that naturally occurs in saltwater or estuaries, particularly from May to October. We have a higher chance of getting this bacteria since we cut our hands on hooks and fish. It is still safe out there, but beware of the signs that you may be infected by this very harmful bacteria.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...bc9_story.html
    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
    Cobra Explorer

Keep a bottle of peroxide, antibiotic cream, and waterproof bandages in the Yak. Any hook puncture and out comes the peroxide. The alcohol based antiseptic hand cleaner works pretty good too.

Comment

Now I'm all itchy.
      Chris

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160i
      Lowrance Elite-4 HDI

Comment

Very Serious Sheet! Take precautions and take this serious.
        Deadwood (Dave)
        West River & Miles River
        2-Old Town Dirigo 12's,2-Old Town Vapors 10ft, 1-NWSlayer Propel13.
        If you dont go, you wont know, and you got to have bait in the water.

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
          Keep a bottle of peroxide, antibiotic cream, and waterproof bandages in the Yak. Any hook puncture and out comes the peroxide. The alcohol based antiseptic hand cleaner works pretty good too.
          Harry, this is excellent information. I will update my first aid kit. Thanks!
          Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
          Cobra Explorer

Comment

The media blows these things up. Of course you want to wash any cuts you get in saltwater or any water for that matter, that's a given.

I don't wash anything until I get home from fishing, and I never had a problem. This guy had to delay washing for a while....

Comment

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post
              The media blows these things up. Of course you want to wash any cuts you get in saltwater or any water for that matter, that's a given.

I don't wash anything until I get home from fishing, and I never had a problem. This guy had to delay washing for a while....

......... There NOT blowing up this 1 ......... I know a Capt on the eastern shore that got it .......... He went to the hospital the night it happened and ended up in the hospital for weeks from a simple tiny cut ......... They said if he waited till the morning he would have been dead ............. There are stories on Tidalfish from the guys that survived and the things they went thru ....... I think it was Charlie Schneider .......... Mortality can be as high as 50% ......... Not to mention the loss of limbs .....
              Last edited by Memory Maker; 07-31-2014, 08:00 PM.

Comment

No joke, a buddy of mine (actually brother of our local olympic figure skater) just got something like this. We play hockey together and he'd missed a few games....it was a fishing injury. He was down in Florida fishing with some kind of shrimp. He got poked by one of it's spines and his thumb got really gnarly. Last night was the first I'd seen him in a few weeks and his thumb is still pretty inflamed. Definitely carry some kind of antiseptic.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post

That is not correct. Had a friend have a similar issue with a cut cleaned up when he got home. Almost died was in rehab for months still not right.

Proper wound care helps keep bacteria bay. If you have open wounds/cuts and are planning exposure to bay waters use a barrier such as waterproof bandaging on the area to keep water from entering wound. Best advice is let any open wounds heal first.

For me I will keep first aid supplies on kayak for immediate wound care.

Comment

I already know a few people from who have had some problems just by swimming off Sandy Point. One had a open wound on her face. Now she is facing some serious infection and now diagnosed with cellulitis. I made sure yesturday to take antibiotic ointment, antibiotic wipes, waterproof bandaids and extra water to wash off the area. Please everyone becareful do not take no chances.
                    Maria
                    GO RAVENS!!!
                    D10 Ascend
                    http://c85c7a.medialib.glogster.com/...lers-2-png.png

Comment

Sounds crazy to me, but maybe its something to watch for. Only 35 people in the entire U.S. died from this in recent years. And the health department guy said 99.9% of people who will get in the water will be fine. Seems like they are trying to sensationalize the story a bit... This is where I stopped reading: "For most people, the bacteria usually causes only a mild skin infection or upset stomach, but in people over 60 and those with weakened immune systems or compromised liver function, the bacteria can advance rapidly, infecting and killing tissue"

Comment

Your right in one respect and that is to assume the press making a mountain out of a mole hill. They love to do that. However, this should just serve as a heads up and awareness for us.

Comment

Based on my buddy's thumb and the pics he showed me of it, you could see almost to the bone. It was a wide open wound that was the size of a nickel. Of course he'll be fine, but pretty crazy for just a minor poke of a spine that just erupted.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                          Alan

Comment

Awareness, certainly. But read more than the news before panicking and running out to buy meds. If your sick, you might be in trouble. If your well, you might get the runs for a day or two. You have a better chance at getting it from food poisoning than the bay:

http://www.foodsafety.gov/poisoning/...io_infections/
                            Last edited by Frogsauce; 07-31-2014, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Nalgene makes some small dropper bottles which are perfect for carrying hydrogen peroxide with you. You guys fishing for stripers this time of year up in the bay be especially careful when handling them, you will definitely get poked sooner or later. I carry a mesh glove for handling them, especially this time of year...been injured by them a few too many times already. Luckily it was during colder months.

Comment

Working...
                              X