New Kayak: water in compartment after rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kayak: water in compartment after rain

I found half a cup of water in my new kayak after taking delivery. I drove for 1hr in light medium rain and sat on the roof rack for about 6hrs in light/medium on/off showers. It was wrapped in the original plastic as it came from the back storage area. The center wrap, centerline of the cockpit was cut open 4ft to check the color.

Is this normal? Should I expect any amount of water in a brand new kayak, wrapped in plastic, in the rain?
    Last edited by juklano; 08-02-2014, 12:01 PM.

I have seen that happen. When I first got my one kayak they were unwrapping it at the dealer and had about a quart of water in it but never had problems with it. I guess it could be a combination of sweating, compartments not sealed properly, etc.

Comment

I've seen threads here on how water tight the hatches are. Seems most are god enough to keep the spray out but sitting water or heavy waves work a little in each time. Seems people rate the amount by the number of sponges required. My mariner front hatch is a very tight fit but when loading in unloading from the water to my truck bed the bow gets submerged and the hatch typically lets in a small enough (less than a sponge) that it evaporates in the sun so I leave the hatches open whiles stored in my garage.
      PigPen - Mt Airy
      Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

I would get water in my Jackson 12 sometimes, and when I rinsed down my new PA 12 it got water in it too. I also turtled my jackson with all the hatches closed once when I got it out it had lots of water in it. I keep mine in a garage so when ever its stored I just open the front and rear hatches to allow any water evaporate. Like PigPen said they work good against spray, but if you add the rain and the wind from driving down the highway i'm sure it works some in. It also could have been their before you got it who knows how they are stored between factory and dealer.
        Travis
        Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
        Orange Old Town NEXT
        USN

Comment

Alright, I was going to have it replaced if it sounded odd.

Comment

Working...
          X