flounder hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flounder hunt

Grady Black and i are heading to the wild unwashed lands of the Va eastern shore to hunt down some flounder. im leaving thursday after work and GBs coming down friday morning. if your intrested let me know. going to hit some lesser known places like folley creek and parkers creek.

met up with GB at anglers around 315 and headed to the eastern shore. got to exmore about 630. holiday inn express is pretty nice. got on the road to folly creek at 0700 and tried to find it for 2hours the roads arent marked very well and none of the gas stations have maps so finally said screw it and went to wachapreague and launched at the free ramp next to capt. zeds. it felt good to get back on the yak and every thing actually worked well and the new seat felt great.

started using hand tied flounder rigs tipped with salted squid to the right of the ramp but the wind current and boat traffic had us move back to the left side which was a lot calmer. the water was cloudy from about 3 weeks of windy weather. drifted the docks and channel but no hits. returning to the ramp was a chore because of the wind and current. nice workout. nice place to fish but not on the weekends, too much boat traffic and they dont care if they are 10' away while gunning it, A- holes

got up sat. morning and headed to kipto and the concrete ships. picked up some blue crabs at chris's bait and tackle and headed to the ramp. we unloaded the yaks and removed the claws from the crabs. looked around and the wind was blowing pretty good from the north west around 20+ and some white caps blowing parallel to shore out by the ships the wind was supposed to lay down BS! headed out and drifted around the crab pots for while getting used to the 3' chop with no bites then headed to the ships through the white caps trying to keep headed in to the wind and waves got to the ships and tried to fish but had to keep adjusting the yak to keep from getting broadsided by waves. after getting beat up for an hour with no bites we headed back to the ramp fished for a while on the pier saw a couple shorts caught but not for us. packed it in and headed home, had a great time and learned the area so i will be able to find the launch areas next time. found folly creek friday around 7pm. large parking area with 2 ramps not easy to find all the roads use names not numbers that were given on the VA web site

Comment

That was a rough trip, but thats why they call it fishing! We'll get em next time..

GB.

Comment

Sorry to hear the flatties and weather weren't playing along. I thought you guys would have good weather and would wind up slaying them. At least you got to do some recon for next time.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

the weater was great, got a good start on a farmers tan, water wasnt cold but the wind sucked. checked out some cool spots like Quinby and willis wharf. DNR cop said to stop in cape charles to check conditions before paying 8 bucks to get in kipto

Comment

Thanks for the recon. That area looks pretty fishy from space (Google Earth). That might be a summer trip for me.

Tough luck on the weather. It seems like all is well during the week and then come sat the wind kicks up and makes it tough.

What did your fluke rigs look like? 3-way with a bucktail teaser? I have been looking for the brass sleeves to tie teasers on for some time now and cant find then anywhere.

Comment

Sorry it was a rough trip John. Those weatherman do not seem to know how to call the weater most of the times. This year the weather have not been optimal for productive fishing... so far. But it will only get better. Things must just be getting a late start.

Comment

just made up some flounder pounders with beads and big azz spinner blades, added some blades to some teasers also. i picked up 100 or so ferrules at the pasadena ff market if u need some. also anglers has some in the fly dept.

thanks martin it will get better. i have good intel about croakers in the severn

Comment

Man that totally sux about the trip! Me and the fellas plannin are planning a trip out there sometime this Summer. Redfish's trip made me put that on the "to do" list for this season! Surfdog... you gotta school me on the flounder pounders!

MYT

Comment

Sorry ya missed Folley's Creek ........ locals fish it for flounder ....... tourists go to Wachapreque ........ here's the directions for the next time
                    http://www.deq.virginia.gov/coastal/...ybeginner.html

At the Wach you usually have to go out to where it opens up to get the flounder .......... but hey ...... a bad day in the promised land is better than a good day here ....... you'll definitely get them next time .......

Comment

So Surf, tell us more about Folly, are there specs back there too? Croaker? Or is it hit and miss for flounder? Is the boat traffic heavy or is it actually fishable for a kayak in the warmer months?

I ask because I am heading to NC at the end of the month to fish down by topsail and half of my planning consists of how to cross the ICW down there alive and make to a creek I can actually fish that doesn't have 100 boats flying out of it and swamping me... The fishing is good, but the boat traffic can be insane. I know where some sheepsheads usually hang out down there, but it's going to take some clever planning to get a shot at them. I'm thinking on my way back to hit the CBBT and possibly Folly if I take the ride up the eastern shore...
                      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

You'll get em next time man! The first trip, it is nice just to be out on the water again.

Comment

yeah, some one was supposed to bring directions so i forgot mine hurrying to get on the road. we did finally got them off the web on the phone but the road markings suck. did find it though nice double ramp close to open water and a guy i know on TF says the fishing's good and a lot less boat traffic. most of the locals didnt know where it was

i was in anglers today and the guy working there showed me a pix of his uncle with this huge flounder he caught 2 weekends ago at wach, said it was 36" IDK but it was firkin huge

i was going to launch today but the wind on the bay is outrageous

Comment

Working...
                          X