Trolling from a kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling from a kayak

I recently purchased the Hobie outback and was thinking about trolling from it. Has anyone on here had much experience with trolling from a kayak and if so what did you use and where were you at. I'm looking to land some big stripers this year!!

Pick up this book by Alan Battista he is a member on here too, his forum name is Yak Fish. It will tell you all you need to know.
    https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake.kayak.trolling
    Travis
    Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
    Orange Old Town NEXT
    USN

Comment

Lots of trolling goes on around here...not the internet kind.

I'm still in my rookie year of fishing the Bay, but have already had several successful days. I troll two rods at a time, one with a 2-3" crank bait, the other with a 1/2-1oz jig head and a 4" paddle tail soft plastic. It's helpful to have a depth finder and GPS, so you know how deep it is and what depth the fish are holding in...the GPS lets you hit a specific location with precision, and keep going back to successful spots.

Check out the book "Yak Fish" wrote (you can click on the link in his signature line to purchase the book directly though him by way of his Facebook page):

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...out-of-the-bag!

I haven't finished the book yet, but so far it is very good.

Welcome aboard! You'll love the Outback.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks for the plugs guys. I've had the benefit of fishing with a lot of great anglers over the years and I've taken a little bit from everyone. If you have questions with trolling, if I can't point you in the right direction, someone else here definitely can.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

Thanks I'm ordering the book today!! Can't wait to read it

Comment

Originally posted by KDT88 View Post
            Thanks I'm ordering the book today!! Can't wait to read it
            Ya won't be sorry ....... Great book !!!!!

Comment

I suggest stinger lure and pet spoons around 1 0z been getting blues and rock every trip lately with them. Shallow water is great in a yak around sunset!
              Cuda 14
              Big tuna

Comment

Thanks Longtrav and I just pick up a copy of your book from anglers sports center Yak Fish. I'm on my way to go fishing on the south river with my son now. I'll start reading it tonight!!

Comment

Originally posted by KDT88 View Post
                  Thanks Longtrav and I just pick up a copy of your book from anglers sports center Yak Fish. I'm on my way to go fishing on the south river with my son now. I'll start reading it tonight!!
                  Ah great! In what section were they selling it? Did you have trouble finding it? Good luck fishing with your son.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I asked thei guy behind the counter as soon as I got there and he knew exactly what I was talking about and went and got it for me. It was somewhere right next to the front counter.

Comment

I had good luck last weekend with a couple of Alabama Rigs I read about in Alan's book.
                      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Yeah I saw that post buzz. Looked like a fun time. Can't wait to get out on the water and do that myself!

Comment

Very choppy today on the Severn River. It was only my second time out trolling with no luck but still fun. Here is my set up in these pics. I barely had any time to fish. Only two hours😞 I trolled with the current the majority of the time in and out of deep to Shallowater water with no luck. There was lots of structure and drop offs. I know that it's only my second time but does anyone see anything wrong with this set up? Bad weather to go trolling today I know but I want to striper really bad!!!!😩

Comment

Comment

Nope, nothing wrong with it. Those will catch plenty of fish. This time of year is not easy, but in about a month you'll be doing great. The hardest part is always catching the first fish. After that, you have some data to go on. Depth, direction, topography, etc. Often the fish are deeper right now or holding around some structure so look for those areas.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                              Torqeedo Pro Staff
                              Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X