Recommendations for most abrasion resistant leader material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for most abrasion resistant leader material

So, I typically run 30 pound fluoro leaders on my braid most places I fish. I am getting frustrated with losing pups under docks when they run around the pilings and burn right through on barnacles and stuff. I went up to 50 pound fluoro last Sunday after losing 4 or 5 pups under a dock the day before, but I got into a good sized pup and of course it ran around the piling and ripped right through the 50 pound as well. Are there any particular types of line people find to be more abrasion resistant than others?

Only real way to get them out is to get a stiff enough rod to rip them out before they wrap or you need to free spool and chase them through.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Maybe I will bring some heavier rods with me. Two of the rods I had with last time were strong enough, but they would just tow me under the dock. The other rod I brought was not and snapped. Only had that one with me because we were talking about going after specks in the ER the same day.

Comment

I've never used it but I've heard Ande Backcountry is very abrasion resistant.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

nothing but a wire leader will hold up to barnacles ......... they are SHARRRRP and will cut just about anything. Ya either have to power them before they get to the pilings or open the bail and follow them around the piling if there's room and hope they don't tighten on a barnacle .......... you could also use a stake out pole in a scupper hole to prevent them from dragging you if the water is not too deep.

Comment

I use the wire or nylon leaders. They don't break very easy.

Comment

Thought about the stake out pole but mine was not long enough and I am not sure I can even get under most of the docks I was fishing unless at low tide...but then they do not want to bite when the tide is out.

Comment

Working...
              X