Question - Hook Remover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question - Hook Remover

What type, brand of hook remover do you carry? Any tricks, secrets to removing a hook?

hook remover

I use a hemostat as a hook remover- I have used it for decades when I was mostly fly fishing and it comes with me on any fishing trip- for deeply hooked fish I cut the line and leave the hook as is- the fish will have a better chance of recovery than digging the hook out and causing excessive damages and bleeding- the hook usually rusts out in a few days leaving the fish no worse for the wear-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

A nice pair of needle nose for the fish and the line trick for when its me I am taking a hook out of

Comment

I have an older version of this Gerber multitool:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Gerbe...h-All+Products

The needlenose pliers are pointy enough to remove hooks from fish as small as bluegill. It's held up well to saltwater use with only a bit of surface rust that can be removed with a little WD40 and some elbow grease. The cutters on the pliers work well for cutting heavy hooks, too.
        Last edited by ictalurus; 04-25-2011, 06:31 PM.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

i also have my trusty gerber, and a longer hook remover for deeper removals.

Comment

Heavy wire bent in a small j .......... hook the j in the curve of the hook ...... pull the line the opposite direction of the line and give 1 shake ...... fish is gone .........

Very long nose pliers and forcepts

Comment

Working...
            X