Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neophytes

Greetings.

My friend and I are new to kayak fishing and to fishing the Bay in general. We both grew up in the midwest fishing for bass and panfish in landlocked ponds and lakes. As young adults living in Chicago we got into the flyfishing craze and most of the fishing we have done in the past 20 years has been flyfishing. Since our arrival on the east coast (myself in Owings Mills and my buddy in Westfield, NJ) we have talked about how much fun it would be to get a couple kayaks and start fishing the myriad of great fishing spots around the mid-atlantic region. That time has finally arrived. Our kids are now old enough that we don't feel so guilty leaving the house for hours at a time, which now gives us opportunity to take in the beauty and serenity of our natural environments. If a few fish get on our lines, then all the better.

We both have purchased Hobie Outbacks and love them. We have both taken them out a few times on some calm waters and what struck me was how comfortable I was in that dinky little seat. We've also bought an appliance called a standnfish that we will be installing on our kayaks tomorrow. It allows you to stand and sight fish where possible, and, since we both love to flyfish, it seemed like a good investment.

Anyway, we will be heading to the flats Monday and Tuesday. If anyone has any info on the best place to launch, bait, tactics, etc. we will be grateful.

Thanks ahead of time and we look forward to one of our greatest pleasures: talking about fishing.

Tight lines

If by flats, you are referring to the Susquehanna flats- it is catch and release only according to the DNR map for spring trophy season, April 16- May 15-
    Closed from May 4-15 inclusive- map- DNR- http://www.dnr.state.mdus/fisheries/...regmap03a.html

and expect the DNR to be out and checking your tackle, etc.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Welcome aboard. The Outback is a sweet boat. I'd like to see your standnfish once it's rigged.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.

I've only had the outback for a few weeks, but I'm thrilled with it so far. I wish I could say the same about my first visit in it to the flats, but it appears that I'm not alone in my frustration. My buddy and I were out Monday as soon as the fog cleared around 11:15 (even after it lifted, there was still a haze on the water and we could hear boats that were relatively close, yet we couldn't see them) and fished all day and evening without a hit. However, we didn't see anyone else pull in a fish either, so...

BTW, where does one buy proper live bait in the area? We asked pretty much everyone we ran into at the Tydings dock where to buy it and they all just raised their arms. Even the guy working the City Dock license shop didn't have any answers. The best info that we got was that we could buy worms at the Royal Farm.

Anyway, even though we had reserved Monday and Tuesday for a long time in hopes of fishing the flats, we decided that we weren't optimistic that things would change on Tuesday, so we went freshwater at Rocky Gorge. Within about a 20 minute window I had caught 3 of the largest 5 bass I had ever caught, including my best at around 6 pounds, so the fishing wasn't a total loss.

Comment

Not many bait shops around anywhere anymore ........ closest one that I know of is in Northeast Md ......... and that's about 10-15 miles and 2 bridge tolls away .......... it's where most people get their bait though ......... Herb's tackle ........

Might try to google it

Comment

Thanks MM.

Seems like the town of HdG could make some coin by selling live bait down at the Tydings marina during the month of April.

I certainly know that I would have been buying on Monday if it was an option.

Comment

Working...
            X