OT - Ford Dealerships around Baltimore for service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Ford Dealerships around Baltimore for service

This is somewhat off topic but I use my truck mainly to haul Yaks and I ned the spark plugs changed. I talked to my regular mechanic and they say to go to a dealership because they will break off if not done with special tools etc. While I like Jones's service for my Toyota, I don't know what dealership is good around Baltimore for service.

Does Anybody have any good experience with a Ford Dealer service? If so who ....... and also who should I avoid

Thats weird that he said they will break off without special tools. What year is your truck? I just ordered ones for my RAM yesterday and I'm going to do it myself. I have the Hemi and it takes 16, but its super simple to do. You should search some of the truck forums and I'm sure you could find a how to guide to changing them for your specific truck.
    Travis
    Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
    Orange Old Town NEXT
    USN

Comment

Might even be a YouTube video about it too.

Comment

Holinshades in Towson has 1 of the best reps ........ They told me as well as a couple of other places including the guy I bought it from ........ They have a tendency to get deposits that make them tight and frequently break off in the engine ...... It's a 2003 F 150 with the biggest engine ........ Hollinshades won't touch it ........ And I won't take the chance

Anybody have a recommendation on a Ford dealer with good service

Comment

My neighbors plugs broke off in his truck. I don't know of any dealers to recommend, no matter what make of vehicle. Good luck on your search for good service. I would suggest getting away from a large metropolitan area and finding a small town dealer who has a reputation to maintain..

Comment

Bob Davidson Ford on Joppa Rd...not far from Hollinshades...Al Packer Ford Pulaski Hiway on rt 40 White Marsh.Plaza Ford down the street from Jones. I have no personal experience with them not a Ford owner... But a reputable repair shop from experience is G & M Motors in Kingsville on Bel Air Rd. You can call them and ask if they would and the cost. Good luck!!

Comment

The special tools are to remove the broken part after they break.

You may want to get a price from these dealers before committing. The plug breakage deal on the Ford 4.6 & 5.4 V3 Triton engine is well known and dealers will charge a fortune. Been awhile since I researched it but from what I remember some people have paid over $800 for plug changes because they would charge an extra $100 for each plug that breaks off. It was a design flaw in the plugs. They are 2 piece plugs and not a solid one piece design we are used to. Make sure you replace them with the one piece solid plugs. Mine is an 08 and I have the defective plugs as well. Missed the change over by a couple months. I thought it was a problem with 04-08 F-150's but I think some of the 03's had them as well.

Do a little research on it in the F-150 forums. The extraction kit (Lisle 65600) to remove the broken plugs was only about $25 from what I remember but after a quick look they have went up in price quite a bit. I bought my truck with 30,000 miles on it and thought about changing them then but didn't and now that I have 82,000 on it, I'll probably run into some breakage. It happens due to carbon build up around the plug. Theres some how to articles out there that say to run some "Sea Foam" through a couple tanks of gas before changing and also run some "Sea Foam" through the throttle body to clean up the carbon build up as best as you can. I also believe a lot of people say to change them when the engine is still hot and to use an air impact gun instead of manually.

I'll probably wind up trading my truck in before mine will need to be done hopefully.
              Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 08-16-2014, 12:47 AM.
              2013 PRO ANGLER 12
              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
                The special tools are to remove the broken part after they break.

You may want to get a price from these dealers before committing. The plug breakage deal on the Ford 4.6 & 5.4 V3 Triton engine is well known and dealers will charge a fortune. Been awhile since I researched it but from what I remember some people have paid over $800 for plug changes because they would charge an extra $100 for each plug that breaks off. It was a design flaw in the plugs. They are 2 piece plugs and not a solid one piece design we are used to. Make sure you replace them with the one piece solid plugs. Mine is an 08 and I have the defective plugs as well. Missed the change over by a couple months. I thought it was a problem with 04-08 F-150's but I think some of the 03's had them as well.

Do a little research on it in the F-150 forums. The extraction kit (Lisle 65600) to remove the broken plugs was only about $25 from what I remember but after a quick look they have went up in price quite a bit. I bought my truck with 30,000 miles on it and thought about changing them then but didn't and now that I have 82,000 on it, I'll probably run into some breakage. It happens due to carbon build up around the plug. Theres some how to articles out there that say to run some "Sea Foam" through a couple tanks of gas before changing and also run some "Sea Foam" through the throttle body to clean up the carbon build up as best as you can. I also believe a lot of people say to change them when the engine is still hot and to use an air impact gun instead of manually.

I'll probably wind up trading my truck in before mine will need to be done hopefully.
                All this good information about spark plugs and what can happen makes me not want to get a Ford (not putting down Fords). I hope you can get this resolved Memory Maker. I myself moved to Maryland six yrs ago and I still have yet to take my vehicles to a mechanic or have a personal mechanic for the family. Thanks Cage Rattler!!! (I dont own a truck yet).
                Maria
                GO RAVENS!!!
                D10 Ascend
                http://c85c7a.medialib.glogster.com/...lers-2-png.png

Comment

I have a 2004 F-150. I had the plugs chaged and there was breakage. can't remember what the cost was but it was more than I expected. I live on the eastern shore and had a auto repair shop in ridgley do the work. not all the plugs broke. They had to use the kit/special tools to get them out. I think only a couple of years F-150 had the problems. Other than that, good truck! got 218,000+ on it
                  2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

Yeah ........ I'm going to bite the bullet and have a dealership do it. I love the truck and got a great deal on it. However, it's been a little bad luck so far and I would like to take it to a dealer with a good rep for the tune up to have the best chance of it going right. So far it's blown 2 brake lines while towing, had a spark plug go bad on the road to Cape Cod and was stolen ....... So I want to get'r done before I leave for CBBT next week

Comment

Working...
                    X