Small spinners are dynamite for perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small spinners are dynamite for perch

My choice of small lure for perch fishing has evolved over the past decade. When I first started kayak fishing in the Severn, I used a small jighead with a white twister tail. I caught plenty of perch.

A few years later someone showed me the beetle spin (safety-pin style wire bait with a spinner blade). I did not have much luck using the grub-like plastic that came with the beetle spins. But I did better when I substituted a small twister tail or a 2" minnow with a flexible tail. Here are a few examples.

007.jpg

As I became more active in the Severn River Rod and Keg Club, I got to know Woody Tillery, who made very successful and artistically beautiful spinnerbaits with feathers tied on instead of hair. I used both the 1/16-oz and 1/8-oz sizes. These were the gold standard of small spinners, but they were costly. Three years ago, Woody stopped tying because of medical issues. I bought up a bunch of his lures thinking they would be the end of the production. Fortunately for Woody, he was able to change medications, which allowed him to return to tying (albeit at a slower pace). Today, Woody's lures are available at several local tackle shops under the names of Woody's Tackle or Maryland Tackle.

005.jpg

While I was enjoying catching perch with Woody's feather spinners, I looked around for an alternative that was less costly. I discovered that Strike King made small spinnerbaits in the Mini-King (1/8-oz) and Micro-King (1/16-oz) sizes. These cost in the $2 to $3 range, but at that time the only place I could find the Micro-Kings was at Dicks or online. The two sizes looked almost identical, but I seemed to have better luck with the smaller Micro-Kings.

006.jpg

A few years ago, Snaggedline member Bignose (Stu) gave me several of his handmade spinners to try out. They looked much like the Woody's spinners but used mostly artificial fibers with an occasional feathers. His standard spinners (single blade) have been excellent producers. Last winter Stu sent me a few experimental models that used two smaller blades instead of a single larger blade. I tried one of them early in the spring. This year the perch were very late in showing up, and I never gave the double-bladed version a fair trial. I plan to give it another workout this month.

003.jpg

Several other Snaggedline members are also talented spinner-style luremakers. Last spring, Grady Black sent me one of his prototypes to test. It follows the beetle spin concept but uses a hand-tied jighead/bucktail. The lure looks like a winner. I will add that to the arsenal for my tests this month.

002.jpg

Most recently I received two spinners from Sparky1423. These are similar to the ones made by Woody and Stu, but have longer arms from the bend to the jighead. I have been traveling for the past week and a half and have not been on the Severn in a while. I plan to get out this next week and do some side-by-side tests of these great looking lures made by our talented members.

004.jpg

You can see from the photos that most of the small spinners I use have some white and some chartreuse. Those colors produce well for me in the Severn shallow shoreline spots. In addition to catching hundreds of perch each year on these small spinners, I have caught stripers, bluefish, pumpkinseed, catfish, and even some LMBs at Mallows Bay. If you are not already using this style of lure, I recommend that you check them out. At the Pasadena Kayak Fishing Flea Market last March Bignose and Grady Black had some of their own creations for sale.

001.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Great write up John. All the similar baits will give everyone an idea of what really works in the tidal rivers. So far I caught perch, pickerel, and stripers on my spinners. I just ordered some earth tone colored hackle to tie...have a feeling I can add a Susky smallmouth to the list one day!
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Last year I bought a yak seat from John and he gave me one of woodys spinners. They do catch everthing. Including susky smallies. I have another go to lure for shoreline fishing also. The mepps aglia in silver or gold, size 2 or 3. They kick ass

Comment

x2 on the mepps aglia. have been catching perch off the shoreline between rockhall and tolchester for many many years. great lure!
        2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

Nice analysis.
          I'm glad that you are getting a lot of use out of them.
          Selling them commercially would require making a lot more of these, and would resemble work, something I like to avoid as a retired guy.
          They are like candy to White Perch, but I have also caught LM Bass, SM Bass, Pickerels, various species of sunfish, Yellow Perch, Crappies, smallish Stripers, Bluefish, a toadfish, and tiny Hog Choker Flounder on them.
          Pretty versatile lure.

A couple of pointers:
          If you are using the wires that are wound in a circle at the tie in point (photo 6, or like a beetle spin) a simple clinch knot will slip, so an improved clinch knot or palomar knot is better for these.
          The wires that are twisted at the tie in point (right lure photo 7) will not transmit vibrations as well.
          The R bend wires give more vibration "feel" and go thru weeds a lot cleaner. I like to use a #2 or #3 gold colored Colorado blade on my single bladed model. The bigger blade "thumps" more and is slower on a dead drop as they helicopter down

I think that the double bladed models might be better for the LT trolling that John and others like to do. Me, I like skipping 'em under docks and into all sorts of gnarly places. I don't worry about losing a few, along the way.

I've experimented will all of these.
          I use a Do-it Mold and the wires that are specific for this particular mold are very thin and they transmit a lot of vibration.
          Try Tochtermans in Baltimore (big mold selection upstairs) or Barlows on line.

Mold: Do-it #SJ-CRP (Barlows # 473288)
          Wire Form: Barlows # 451192
          Hook: Crappie Hook #455 Size 1
          Last edited by bignose; 08-16-2014, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Was fishing for w/p along the rocky shorelines at Sandy point with the wife this morning. Using a jon boat. We caught about 25 on ultralites using a 1/8 oz white roadrunner. Would rather fish for w/p than anything. Haven't used spinner baits yet. Next time out I will give it a try. Finished off the day when the wife caught this rockfish. Had to chase after it with the trolling motor, thought it might break the line.
            IMG_20140816_102941_649.jpg

Comment

Nice write up John.
              These are great for shallow WP fishing. What do you guys use for the deeper ones....certainly grass shrimp and worms works on bottom rigs. Will the same rigs work that we use for yellow perch work as well?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

If fishing for fun, I'll go with a 3" curly tail grub on a 3/16- 1/4 oz. round jig head. I like the power bait grubs in chartreuse or white.
                This is good down to 8 feet or so. It eliminates the little perch.

If I'm fishing for dinner or with our clients, I'll use a standard wire bottom rig with just enough weight to feel the bottom. I'll use pre-snelled hooks, size 4, or so ( we hit a school of perch two weeks ago that were swallowing a size 4/0 hook that we were fishing for stripers with!), and I find that the perch like the ones with tiny spinners on them.
                Fishbites (bloodworms are expensive, and messy) work o.k. but if I am serious about catching big perch, you can't beat a small piece of soft crab.

Comment

Working...
                X