Spinning rod for throwing big plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinning rod for throwing big plugs?

I've been thinking about getting a spinning rod for throwing big, 6"+ topwater plugs to see if I can catch something bigger than my usual 18-24" fish this year. I was thinking about a 7ft rod in the <$100 range that can throw around 2oz or more while being fast enough to work a popper/spook without a lot of arm movement. Bass Pro has two options that fit the bill, the Gold Cup inshore spinning rod and the Inshore Extreme spinning rod. Daiwa also has a model called the Coast-to-Coast.

Anyone have any experience with these rods or suggestions for others? Thanks in advance.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Sorry, Bill, I roll my own. For those larger plugs, I use a Lamiglas 7.5' live bait blank. It can throw a plug a long ways. Don't over look some of the new Shimano rods. They seem to be ahead of most, for power and being light.

Comment

Hey Bill, you should buy that airwave from grilled sardine instead of me! I already have one and it fits the bill for what you're looking for. I also have a teramar rated to 2oz that is a beast, but it's pretty heavy for casting all day. Check out the airwave, very sensitive.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Tsunami Airwave

Yeah, I have a 9' Airwave. Specs: 12-25 # line, 1 - 3 1/4 oz. It's my favorite for longer distance plugging. Light too, at only 10.6 ounces.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I was talking about a 7 footer, the butt really isnt too long for the kayak either. It could use more guides but works just fine.

Comment

Mike--I was trying to look up some info on the airwave, but it seems like Tsunami doesn't have a website. I have a cheapo Shimano, but it's proportioned like a surf rod and is a bear to work the lures with. I didn't want another rod like that. I'll have to think about the airwave a little more.

I figured a lot of guys made their own. I wish my house had a man cave so I could do more tackle making.
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

here is the website for tsunami...

http://www.biminibayoutfitters.com/tsuairwaves.htm
              Hobie Revolution 13
              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I use a 7 foot medium heavy popping rod and a Abu 6500 C3 for top water poppers and Zara Spooks- when you use 30# Power Pro with this setup it is awesome...no stretch, instant hookups. I can toss a 2 Oz and above lure a long, long way with this setup...it isn't a spinner, but for heavy-weights it is the ticket.
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I thought about a casting rod, but a casting reel combined with braid, a 2oz+ lure, and multiple hooks sounds like a definite trip to the emergency room for me. I have a harder time with casting reels when casting from my yak compared to standing and fishing from shore. I'm not sure why. Plus, I can fish some of my topwater spots in stiff wind and still be protected from waves, so that adds to the potential for backlash related injuries (or snapping off expensive lures).
                  Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I hear you. In the middle of a hot bite the last thing anyone needs is a backlash
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Bill, i got an inshore extreme 7' 2 piece rated 15-30# 3/4 to 3oz lure weight from BPS. its got a short fighting butt not built like a surf rod, just right for the yak. the rounded end is nice, not digging into your gut. still tricky getting big poppers to WTD but thats from the low position sittting in a yak

Comment

Cool. That's one of the models I was looking at. Thanks for the info. Ever use it for toggin'?
                        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

no, i use a 9' ugly stick from shore and a conv. rod with a quantum cabo for headboats but would if i had the chance at kipto or chsp in delaware

Comment

Bass Pro in Arundel Mills didn't have any of the models I was interested in. Grrrr... Actually, they didn't have anything that I was hoping to look at/replace. I did pick up some big Chesapeake Tackle plugs from their clearance rack for when I find a rod to throw them.

Almost bought an awesome rod at Alltackle that didn't have a price on it only to find out it was $300.
                            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Goodness, that's a big difference. I was thinking about this today more, I think Fenwick makes the rod you're looking for. Ask Jimbo about his MH 7' Fenwick something or another. It's fast or extra fast action and throws soft plastics or plugs with ease. It also has way better guides than the airwave. I think he may have gotten it at anglers?

Comment

Working...
                              X