Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MD DNR changes Ramp/Boating website... temporary ? good ? not so good ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MD DNR changes Ramp/Boating website... temporary ? good ? not so good ?

MD DNR changes Ramp/Boating website... temporary ? good ? not so good ?

Just noticed this morning that their website had changed this morning... maybe it is temporary or the link to the info they had before is not available or they are in the process of revamping the website...

I really like the format they had before... hopefully it will reappear...
    There is an email on the page below of the "new" format...

http://dnr.maryland.gov/boating/boatramps.asp

Luckily I downloaded all the old information and containing the maps... for areas along the Bay and ocean.

I don't think that is a temporary redesign. Think I like it better. Nice to be able to see the whole state and use the semi standard Google Maps interface. The ramp information seems to be fairly complete in the pop ups and could be easily grabbed from there if you want it on your local computer or device. Here we are again always withe the nerdy stuff. Still using OpenCPN?

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
      Still using OpenCPN?
      All the time ! Thanks to you I look at the Navionics webpage... and plot on the OpenCPN. That is the limitations of my FF/GPS (and my budget).

Went out yesterday... to explore a new place (to me)... caught about a dozen rock... almost the same blues... and some perch. Only came home with one rock but I was happy as could be. Oh... and there were some people on a boat yanking in spot like it was no tomorrow.

I don't "hate" the new DNR webpage... It definitely could be better... the pop boxes are too small.... The actual map is old and out of date... etc etc...
      I guess I don't take change too well... being an old fart... heck I still use a stove top percolator to make my coffee.

Thanks again for your help last year with Open/CPN, Bablefish and all that stuff. Maybe it's back from my ol'mountain days... but I get into that topography stuff... its just now in reverse and below me as compared to when I used to be always looking up.

Comment

Got one for you to try, not strictly kayaking related but could be useful kayaking or shore fishing when you don't have a phone signal. Don't know if you have a Android smartphone or tablet but if so give the MyTrails Android App a try. Has the ability to download maps to your device and use them when offline. It was invaluable on a trip we just took when driving on some of the gravel back roads and finding places to fish when no WiFi or phone signal was available. Tons of free built in topo and regular maps available to use or download.

I like knowing where I am at also it can be useful if trouble arises.

Comment

I let a week go by for the new format to get its act together... but it still sucks bigtime. On my computer the new launch format is waaay slower and I had to click on more icons before getting to the meat of the subject... and each click took 10-15 seconds to fully load. So yeah, I liked the old format 5X more than this new format. Yeah, I know... what's 30-40 seconds more... well, computers are all about speed, speed, speed... and the DNR launches site took a big step in the wrong direction. My computer is less than a year old and I'm using a satellite connection (HughesNet).
          Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
          X