Planning for May 8 (Fri) and 9 (Sat), 2015 at CHSP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning for May 8 (Fri) and 9 (Sat), 2015 at CHSP

I won't start a report thread but just tag on this one. We had a little bit of a rough day. We were on the water at 7 and it was relatively quite and there weren't many boats yet but it was pretty foggy. We started patrolling and looking for the blues. Around 8:30 we found a school and my companion managed to jig up a 12# fish. This was the first and biggest of the day.

There was a long pause in the action. By 10:30 it was a parking lot out there. I suspect there were around 30-40 boats at one point. 4 of those boats were larger charter boats. We didn't pull in another fish until around 1:00 when I caught two on back to back casts. Everyone was stacked on the flat and I was tired of being in the mix. People were pulling out some here and there but after my two I was being converged upon again by the armada.

I had a suspicion I knew where the blues would show up next and we made a preemptive move about 3/4 of a mile away from the fleet. I found major blues stacked in a specific area two other times during the ripping outgoing tide. We found them and caught two out of sight of the navy. We continued to follow them and have 3 more hook ups but didn't land any of them. The fog then rolled back in and I loved the fact that we couldn't be seen by the boats. I came across a guy that said his handle here was tufnic and told him where we were seeing them in hopes he could join in.

We managed to fish the area unmolested for 1 1/2 hours and had a few more hook ups and landed about 4 fish. Around 3:30 the fog lifted and I was hooked up. I busted out my net for the first time to try and get the fish in the boat as quickly as possible so no one would see.

It didn't work because a charter boat saw me from his high bridge and the fleet soon followed and our secluded fishing spot turned into a shipping lane. Even with the boats this time the action was still hot. We pulled out about a dozen or better a piece today. Aside from the first they were smaller on average today. Probably from 24-30 inches.

I'm not used to peddling, we peddled continuously for 11 hours today and I can feel it. We didn't take many pictures as when we started hitting the majority of them we were trying to get them off the hook and in the water before any boats spotted us.

Good luck out there for anyone going Sunday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willf650; 05-10-2015, 06:30 AM.
    1980 Something Old Town Canoe
    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
    2015 Coosa HD
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
    2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

I saw a bunch that size being pulled up by all the boats out there with a few bigger ones. I could not seem to catch any all day, but as I was about to give up I ran into a school of real chompers. Had them all to myself with no boats in the way and it was not where everybody seemed to be going after them. Nonstop action for about 45 minutes...every time I would circle back they just seemed to get bigger. I even had a couple double headers. Lost 2 nice hopkins and 2 kastmasters. Had about a dozen up to yak side, but only managed to land 4 of them. Brought out my big game net, but I was thumbing the spool of my revo as hard as I could and they kept diving away from my net. My revo s had a very tough time dealing with all but the first one I caught, which was about 30" (the rest were all mostly 36-40" monsters). I guess I could have played them longer to wear them out, but it was really fun catching them. My 550ss had no trouble handling them. It was good practice for my upcoming cobia attempts I am going to make. Might go back again. I heard of some bull reds being caught yesterday also.

-Never did make it to Arby's. Was not sure where it was and ended up hanging out for a little while as Tufnik was packing up.
      Last edited by JohnE; 05-10-2015, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X