No announcement yet.

It's true...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still remember last February I fished with you guys at Unicorn wearing shorts & t-shirt.

I doubt we will be that lucky this upcoming 2019. Winter 2018 hasn't arrived yet... Nice to see some pickeral action on the boards, trip reports and new threads are few & far between during December-February.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Michael,

You caught a nice one that day:

P1030441.jpg

Given the unfortunate rarity of pickerel in tidal water, the Eastern Shore ponds are a good alternative for MD and DE kayaker anglers during the winter.

Again, alter your warm water approaches to find picks at this time of year. They may not be hugging shorelines.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Happy to see some folks are having luck with them! I have been going after them in Northern Va for much of this fall with surprisingly good results. I've been focusing on water with musky, but not throwing anything over 8" as far as flies go. Been doing this as the waters I'm fishing hold pickerel. Figure, I have slim chances at a musky, but should throw something big enough to get their attention but not too big for the pickerel. So far this tactic has worked for pickerel, but I'm gunna focus more on the big guys in the coming trips and work deeper water with some bigger flies.
        2017 Jackson Kayak Mayfly

Instagram: @thegreggoutdoors

Gregg

Comment

You guys might want to try Loch Raven. The guys I’ve talked to says they get tired of catching them. Some oe them throw them on the bank because there are so many. This was during the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
            You guys might want to try Loch Raven. The guys I’ve talked to says they get tired of catching them. Some oe them throw them on the bank because there are so many. This was during the summer.
            I fish Loch Raven regularly in the fall and winter as long as there is open water. There are not that many pickerel there in my experience though they are mostly decent sized. I actually fish for Pike (usually) with small swimbaits and catch a fair amount of pickerel in the process. I probably average 2 pickerel per trip. I joined the cca pickerel tournament and am trying to catch pickerel now.Last week I fished on 2 occasions getting there about 4:00 and fishing to almost dark I . I caught 2 pickerel the one day and 1 on the other. I did catch some 25 inchers before I joined the tournament but haven't gotten any real decent ones since. Also I live near the northern end and the heavy rains we have had make the water muddy and fishing tough. The southern end doesn't get as muddy.

Comment

Working...
            X