CHSP 5/29/19 Wed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP 5/29/19 Wed

First trip since my last trip about 10 months ago.

Anyway, I heard spotty reports of blues and flounder. So I thought I'd try.

Fished along the shore shallows, the pier, and the inner wall throwing silver spoon and jigging bucktail/gulp mullet. Nothing. Complete skunk.

There was a group of six yakers. They fished the inner wall and far west from the pier. I talked to the fellow who came to shore before his friends, and he said they caught two flounder (1 keeper) and several blues (up to about 30").

Well, it was a very nice day with sunshine and light winds. Next time; maybe I'll find the blues.

BTW, after buying a pick-up two and a half years ago, I finally used it to haul my yak. I previously car-topped on a minivan for nine years. Although I don't need to lift it higher now, I can't say the truck is better.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
    BTW, after buying a pick-up two and a half years ago, I finally used it to haul my yak. I previously car-topped on a minivan for nine years. Although I don't need to lift it higher now, I can't say the truck is better.
    tufnik,

I'm sorry to read your kayak outing was not productive. You're in good company so far this year!

Can you please expand on your quote above? I also cartop my Hobie and Native kayaks on a minivan and I've been contemplating a pickup to avoid the lift.

I do like the fact that I can secure my fully rigged rods and gear inside my minivan as I travel. I've been concerned about how to store them in a pickup. But the lifting is getting harder even though my kayaks are on the lighter side of many who post here. So I am curious as to why you don't think a pickup is better.

Thank you,
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Hi Mark,
      See my post in the Dry Dock section.

Comment

I fish the Lewes area pretty regularly and like going out of the Lewes boat launch into the broadkill river/canal. Usually a lot flounder and small stripers in the canal near the Inlet. It’s funny I was there a couple weekends ago and the blues were supposed to be running like crazy but I didn’t catch one but I caught some stripers.

Comment

I fished lewes canal last Saturday and Sunday. Nothing great but got 2 blues and a 18" rock on Sat. And 2 small rock on Sunday

Comment

I am new to Kayak fishing and this sounds like what I am looking for to use as my third trip on what I expect to be a long learning curve. Do you put in at the Lewes Public Boat Ramps?
            Bill
            Nucanoe Frontier 12

Comment

I have been fishing the area over the last 2 years and am still learning it myself. I launch at the boat ramp sometimes to fish the inlet and that section of the canal. Last week I launched farther up the canal and was going to troll down to the inlet but got a couple fish and never made it down to the inlet. Oddly I didn't catch a single fish trolling but caught them casting and retrieving the same lure I was trolling. I have fished the inner and outer walls a few times and have never done much there other than one time I caught a bunch of small croaker and other small stuff on a jigging spoon. I did get 1 keeper flounder and several shorts near the fishing pier 2 years ago. Would be happy to fish with you if I'm down there. I try to make it once a month but have only been down twice so far this year.

Comment

Is there any reasonably priced hotels near the Lewes area or do you have to go out to to Georgetown and south? I'd like to fish CHSP with my yak, but have only surf fished on day trips.

TIA
                John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                  Wait till you get old and have arthritis! I used to cartop my OK Trident but, after switching to a pickup, I would never go back. It is easy to lift the front end onto the tail gate and slide the yak into the truck. Cartoping my (as configured) 90 pound Trident was a literally a pain.
                  John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

I’d like to hear some opinions to the following strategy for dealing with the currents when traveling between the Broadkill River and the Rehoboth and Lewes Canal.
                    1. Launch from the Broadkill boat ramps within an hour or two of the end of the outgoing tide and head for the canal.
                    2. Fish the canal for a few hours and then use the incoming tide to help take me up the Broadkill back to the boat ramps.

I keep hearing how terrible the currents in that particular area are and don’t know if I would be crazy at my age to try it.
                    I do have a 55lb thrust trolling motor to assist my half-gravel (but not completely useless) shoulders.
                    Is this reasonable? I would like to avoid being towed.
                    Thanks,
                    Bill
                    Bill
                    Nucanoe Frontier 12

Comment

Originally posted by DEHIC View Post
                      I’d like to hear some opinions to the following strategy for dealing with the currents when traveling between the Broadkill River and the Rehoboth and Lewes Canal.
                      1. Launch from the Broadkill boat ramps within an hour or two of the end of the outgoing tide and head for the canal.
                      2. Fish the canal for a few hours and then use the incoming tide to help take me up the Broadkill back to the boat ramps.

I keep hearing how terrible the currents in that particular area are and don’t know if I would be crazy at my age to try it.
                      I do have a 55lb thrust trolling motor to assist my half-gravel (but not completely useless) shoulders.
                      Is this reasonable? I would like to avoid being towed.
                      Thanks,
                      Bill
                      I can't answer your question Bill, but I understand your dilemma. I have arthritis all over and have just put a trolling motor on my small yak. I have had one for several years on the big yak as I was worried about getting back to the ramps too.
                      John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

John,

I don't know about reasonably priced motels there because I usually sleep in my minivan on overnight fishing trips.

Regarding pick-up trucks, see my recent post in Dry Dock (Minivan to Pick-up Truck).

Dehic,
                        I haven't done your strategy, but it seems reasonable. Over the years, I've fished as far as about 300 yards on either side of Roosevelt inlet along the canal.

I last fished Roosevelt inlet about two weeks ago. Decided to quit after about six hours on the water, and I started going back during the outgoing tide. It was a challenge just getting from the inlet to the Lewes Public boat ramp, and the distance was only about 200 yards. My legs aren't young anymore.

Comment

I don't know about hotels in the area. I am in decent shape for a 61 year old. I usually fish out of a pro angler 12 and have had no problems with currents in the Roosevelt inlet area. I am planning to be down there from July 4th through the weekend and will fish that area at east once depending on reports and how I do if anyone wants to meet up.

Comment

Working...
                          X