Thank Goodness for Bluegills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank Goodness for Bluegills

My tidal fortunes have been miserable thus far in 2019. Most of my Chesapeake outings have been nice boat rides with sporadic catches of micro stripers and a handful of decent white perch. I haven't even caught a channel cat this year!

So this morning I decided to remedy that. I set out to get some long overdue consistent pullage. I went to place where I know with certainty that fish are present. Further, these fish don't care about the tide because there is no tide. They don't care about low salinity because there is never salinity where they swim.

I got up at o-dark-thirty, jumped into my preloaded van and drove across the Bay Bridge to a Delaware pond -- the best cure I know for those suffering from fish deficiency syndrome.

I was on the water just after daybreak and hooked up within minutes with a bluegill. That set the tone for a very nice outing that finally was more than a boat ride.

I caught bluegills with a big popper:

P1040860 (2).jpg

I caught them with a medium popper:

P1040851 (2).jpg

I caught them with a small popper:

P1040863 (2).jpg

I caught them with a small bullethead darter:

P1040856 (2).jpg

And I caught them with a small bend back minnow:

P1040865 (2).jpg

I also brought a spinning rod to cast a weedless paddletail. I got no interest from bass but I did get a couple of 16 to 18 inch pickerel. Here's one on the paddletail:

P1040852 (2).jpg

I got a pick on a popper too.

Even with my early start, shady shorelines quickly disappeared as the sun rose quickly during this long June day. But I made the best of it, whipping the fly rod side-armed to cast under branches. Also, I hit the edges of the ample fields of lily pads. It was fun. I like casting to tight targets.

I threw the paddletail directly into the vegetation and had more misses than hookups. But the action indicated to me that fish were indeed under those pads in direct sunlight.

Here's evidence of a strike in the pads:

P1040861.jpg

Note that the paddle is missing!

I don't fish with bobbers but I like to collect them when I see them floating free in ponds. I saw one tangled in pads so I retrieved it. What was under it surprised me -- a deep diving crankbait. See here:

P1040868 (2).jpg

I've collected lots of bobbers over the years and usually there is a bare hook dangling under them and a few split shots. I can't imagine how this rig was supposed to work. Just shows you that some folks have no clue when it comes to fishing. Or maybe it's the latest fishing rage and I'm clueless.

Anyway, it was good to have some action this morning, even if the fish were nothing to brag about in terms of size. It was definitely much better than another tidal boat ride.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mark; 06-26-2019, 05:09 PM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

That bobber is actually a popping cork rig. Usually used for redfish or trout, and almost always with a soft plastic trailer not a hard bait. We’ve seen them used effectively for stripers down here as well. Given the steel leader I’m guessing this was someone’s “secret” pickerel lure.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
      That bobber is actually a popping cork rig. Usually used for redfish or trout, and almost always with a soft plastic trailer not a hard bait. We’ve seen them used effectively for stripers down here as well. Given the steel leader I’m guessing this was someone’s “secret” pickerel lure.
      Interesting. I used a popping cork in TX for specs and reds. I didn't recognize it as such due to the crank bait.

You certainly don't need a rig that heavy for pickerel.

Thanks Mike.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Comment

I'm glad you got some frequent pullage today. I am looking forward to our venture tomorrow to see if we can do the same with stripers.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I had a doctor's appointment that had me up in Baltimore this a.m. Afterwards, I headed over to Canton Waterfront Park for a little late a.m fishing from shore before it got too hot.
          In 45 minutes I caught one 6" perch.

Perch/Bluegill, it doesn't matter, it was something that pulled back on the line.They have saved day many times when the fishing has been slow.

I know that you have struggled with the tidal perch this year, but anything is better than nothing.
          I keep saying that the fish is the least important part, but every once in a while, it's nice to have some positive feedback.

Comment

Stu,

You're right. After all, we are fishing from our kayaks. A little reward for our efforts in that regard is welcome in addition to all the other niceties of an outing.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

2019 has been an eye opener about the reality of “climate change” and its effects on the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries...and it is universal...the changes up your way, Mark, are mirrored down South, minor difference but pretty much the same...nice boat rides, a few big fish scattered here and there, but mostly lousy fishing...the bottom of the bay is paved with catfish...so why fight it...we should embrace a catfish derby! Have prizes for the biggest fish, the most caught and removed from the waters...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Ron,

My fishing history prior to kayak angling was primarily freshwater, which is odd given I grew up in Anne Arundel county surrounded by tidal water. But access to that water was scarce. That scenario has changed only recently thanks to the efforts of Lisa and others on this board and elsewhere who have kept the issue current in the minds of our local politicians.

It was striper nirvana when I got my first Revo. I couldn't believe they were so large, so strong, so close to where I lived and so easy to catch compared to how I had to finesse finicky largemouth bass to bite after driving to distant ponds and reservoirs to do so. I remember a time in Whitehall Bay when I actually pedaled away from breaking stripers because I was exhausted from pulling them in after an already long successful morning on the water in the Severn.

Last year the striper decline was noticeable but this year it's clear that stocks are depleted. Now I worry if white perch are suffering the same fate. I think that cannot be possible. They're supposedly so prolific. However, declining water quality and the mentality of some anglers to take 20 to 30 eight-inch perch home after each session or using them to live line for stripers may finally be having an impact.

The pond fish are somewhat protected because in general they don't taste good. You don't see LM bass or pickerel on many restaurant menus. There also seems to be an ingrained catch and release mentality among anglers for these freshwater species that is lacking for tidal species.

Anyway, I'm perfectly content to fish freshwater, but I do hope tidal conditions improve. I was spoiled during my entry into tidal fishing and it wasn't that many years ago. Our fishing habits may need to change for sure. Fortunately, there are many ways to pursue our hobby.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Great report, Mark. Nice to see you post some fish photos. Reports on the Upper Potomac are dismal as well. It appears that repeated years of Potomac River flooding during the smallmouth spawn have obliterated the supply of young smallmouth. Recruitment of new young fish has been very poor. Add to it regular fish mortality and the situation is not encouraging. I'm not even sure if I will bother getting out on the Upper Potomac this year. Depressing.

Comment

Thanks Tom.

Here's an interesting read confirming the smallmouth problem you mentioned.

https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/P..._stocking.aspx

The MD DNR has tried to salvage the matter but the bass themselves did not cooperate in a breeding program.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                    X