Lewes 7-29: Slow, but a Variety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lewes 7-29: Slow, but a Variety

Pat (yakscientist) and I took the trip down to the public boat ramp in Lewes, DE yesterday. We fished mainly in and around the confluence of the canal and the Broadkill but never made the trip out into the inlet. We launched at 6 and caught the last of the incoming tide and pretty much all of the outgoing. The goal was flounder, blues, and striper. We both threw a variety of rigs including tandems, paddletails, bucktails, gulp, and flukes.

Despite the gorgeous conditions (until it got hot) the fishing was slow. We later learned from someone who fishes these waters consistently that our temperature reading on the outgoing tide (73-74) was almost 10 degrees colder than what is typical. This likely contributed to the slow bite. Fishfinders were pretty bleak for trolling, but we casted and jigged hard.

Pat ended up with some puffer fish and a bunch of crabs who were really into his gulp. I ended up with a sand perch, a micro striper, a micro black seabass, and a 16" flounder (a half-inch off from keeper size). I'd never been to this spot before, and Pat had been once so it was cool to breakdown a new(ish) body of water. I was amazed at how clean and clear the water was, and how different the shoreline looked compared to a lot of the mid/upper bay shores. There's some overlap in vegetation, but the aesthetic felt completely different down there.

For those who've never been, it's only 2 hours from Baltimore City and the ramp had no fee, had tons of parking, and had bathrooms. You don't need to paddle far at all to reach good water, which is always a bonus (though obvious means those waters are likely pressured). A week non-resident fishing license was only $12.50, so overall this was a great trip to change things up and test out some new waters.

Flounder.jpgSand Perch.jpgSea Bass.jpg
    Matt
    Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
    2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
    10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Tax Free, and Free Boat Launching? Sounds like just another reason to retire to Delaware!
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Matt,

What was the boat traffic like on a Sunday? Anything like it is in the Chesapeake? I have been wanting to go back to Lewes/Cape Henlopen later in the month or early September.
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

There’s definitely boat traffic, especially where boats are coming and going from the ocean. However, I kept an eye out and never really felt like I was in danger or couldn’t fish how I wanted to because of the boats. It was pretty easy to cast to shore or find a fishy spot out of the way of the boat traffic. If you want to drift for flounder there were multiple boats sitting in the middle of everything doing that, and the boats coming in or heading to the main bay would avoid them well. Plus, most of the area near the launch is a no wake zone.
        Matt
        Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
        2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
        10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Thanks Matt, that helps.
          John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
          MK Endura Max 55 backup power
          Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
            Tax Free, and Free Boat Launching? Sounds like just another reason to retire to Delaware!
            Free county launches are a Southern Maryland thing, too...Charles and St. Mary’s has free launches...most with clean porta potties...they understand how recreational fishermen spend money in their counties that far outweigh the launch/parking fees collected from fishermen...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

The entire broadkill river and lewes canal is a no wake zone. I’ve drifted through canal with other boats drifting with no problems. In my experience people are pretty friendly. If you go back and fish near the canary creek bridge people fishing from shore get kinda pissy.

Comment

I have fished this area too and have caught keeper flounder and sometimes big blues. One thing to note, it you intend to fish it more than once, then you would save money by getting the year DE License instead of the day pass for $12.50. The year pass is on $20, so you only have to go twice to be ahead of the game.
                MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                2016 Hobie Outback LE
                Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Working...
                X