Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 lewes area striper trip reports (Great, good, bad)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 lewes area striper trip reports (Great, good, bad)

Despite the crazy winds we've had and my hectic work schedule I found 3 days to get out in the kayak with low winds and generally good weather. After having some success with tog at CHSP in October I got burnt out after a few frustrating and fish less trips and decided to change it up. I had veterans day off and decided to try for creek stripers which is something I've attempted in the past but had no luck with.

11/11
    I wasn't expecting much from this trip honestly, but I thought I'd enjoy a beautiful fall day in the yak at the least. Since I took up fishing 3 years ago stripers are the fish I've invested the most time into with the least success. Before this trip my PB was an 18" I caught accidentally while tog fishing, to give you some idea of my success as a striper fisherman. I launched from a new spot around 9:30am and picked up my first fish before 10 trolling a 4" paddletail. It was only a 12" rat but it let me know there were fish around. I cast around and picked up a few more fish including a 23" (WOW my new PB ha) which I thought might be the highlight of the day. I paddled on and found a drop off on the fish finder and after getting one small fish jigging the paddletail I anchored up and started casting. After a few casts with no hits I thought about moving on when I feel a thump and set the hook hard. I could immediately tell this was a better fish, it turned the kayak and took a few strong runs pulling some drag. I got it in and measured and it was a fat 29". I fully intended to release it but it made that decision for me when it flopped off the bump board before I could get a picture. Not getting a picture of my first keeper size fish definitely bummed me out but I kept fishing and got another 31" (which I did get pictures of before releasing) and a lot of 20"-26" schoolies jigging the paddletail while drifting. I ended the day with 15 fish with a decent average size including 2 keepers. Definitely my best day of fishing of the year and a good confidence boost for my striper skills.

IMG_20191111_134341224_HDR - Copy.jpg IMG_20191111_134455080 - Copy.jpg IMG_20191111_134517532 - Copy.jpg

11/15
    Water and air temps had dropped and the bite seemed to suffer from it. The fish didn't seem interested in hitting the trolled paddletail, but I was able to get 8 fish 18"-26" jigging it in deep water. There were a ton of white perch around too, some guys on a boat near me were fishing bloodworms and doubling up every cast. I was mostly interested in stripers but I still caught a few perch for dinner on a whim since I didn't plan on keeping bass. Not as good as my first day but still much better than my average striper attempt and a lot of fun.

11/19
    Water was high, cold & filthy and fishing was a struggle. I fished hard all day and just caught 2 schoolies to show for it. I was marking fish but they all seemed suspended and not actively feeding. Hopefully the poor fishing was due to the water conditions and not a sign the main body of fish have moved on. I just got a bib + dry top in october so I'd like to keep fishing as long as they're around.
    Last edited by Sneaky_Weakie; 11-21-2019, 04:33 PM.

Excellent informative reports.

Your prior investments of striper time paid off with a truly outstanding outing on 11/11.

You did well on 11/15 too.

Congrats.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks Mark. Reading posts here contributed to me pulling the trigger on dry gear and fishing the colder months and I'm glad I did. If the striper fishing truly is slowing down though I might check out some of the freshwater ponds guys here like so much

Comment

That first day had to have been an absolute blast! Congrats! It's probably fun to look back at how stoked you were from those first couple of fish not knowing you were going to tie into a 29" and 31" before the day was out! Awesome trips and thanks for the report.
        Matt
        Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
        2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
        10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Outstanding 2 days, you earned those fish. Your last day reminds us why a slamming spot one day is dead the next. Kind of like happy hour bars. I had to recalibrate that 28” is keeper ocean side.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thanks for the report, and congrats on your catches. It’s always nice to see hard work pay off with fish like that.
            Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Thanks everybody. It was definitely one of those days where everything went right, the ones that make all those skunks and tough days on the water worth it.

Comment

Congratulations on the nice catches. I fish down there a few times a year and have yet to catch any nice stripers there. I am probably going down this weekend and fishing on Sunday. I am thinking of fishing for Tog.

Comment

Thanks Mike. Good luck with the tog, action down here has been good for them. Might want to check the forecast for sunday though, looks like it's gonna be wet and windy.

Comment

Excellent report and congrats on the PB(s)! I know from fishing the back bays in OC quite a bit that finding legal sized stripers can be a challenge once you get away from the inlet, so no small feat getting multiple in the same day.
                    Brian

Comment

Working...
                    X