Lewes Canal 6/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lewes Canal 6/20

I launched from the Pilottown Rd ramps this morning at 5am. Drifted to up the broadkill river getting a few hits but not hooking up. On my last drift I got a 15in throwback. Headed past the inlet and started drifting in the canal and caught a handful more shorts on a white bucktail and salmon red swimming mullet with a chartreuse swimming mullet teaser. Then I found a few 10in weakfish. A nice surprise, hopefully this is a good sign they are coming back. Saw a report from the pier someone kept a 5lb weakfish. Hopefully more people realize they need to release these fish if we want them back.

The salmon red seemed to be attracting a lot of throwbacks so I decided to switch to a chartreuse gulp on the bucktail. First drift nailed a 25in keeper flounder. Unfortunately I had a mishap placing it in the cooler behind me and it swam away to see another day. A few drifts later in the same spot I picked up a nice 20 inch flounder. This one was successfully placed in the cooler lol. I’m definitely rethinking the whole throwing it in the cooler behind me. I’m going to get a soft cooler to put on the bow.

It was more shorts after that and I was off the water by 10. For a Saturday morning there were very few people out. Definitely a successful morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 25" flounder is impressive. Too bad it got away. I rarely keep fish, but when I do, I put Fishgrips in the fish's mouth before reaching to the cooler. I place the fish inside the cooler before releasing the grips. Plus on a toothy fish like a flounder, it keeps your fingers safe.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Lewes Canal 6/20

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      A 25" flounder is impressive. Too bad it got away. I rarely keep fish, but when I do, I put Fishgrips in the fish's mouth before reaching to the cooler. I place the fish inside the cooler before releasing the grips. Plus on a toothy fish like a flounder, it keeps your fingers safe.
      Thanks for the advice. I figured that out on my own the second time around haha. This was my first time exclusively flounder fishing. The big ones are definitely a fun fight. This is actually the first time I’ve kept a fish since i started off my kayak two years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice report. Like John that 25 incher was impressive. Keep the reports coming.

I finally put the small Reliable cooler on the front of my Outback. Much easier to get to and keeps ice for hours. Between the twisting and dragging a stringer, this has been working out great.

Yak67
        2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
        2019 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
        X